Cambodia wants 1,400-year-old temple listed as world heritage siteMarch 16th, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, March 16 (Xinhua) Cambodia will ask the UN to list the 1,400-year-old Sambo Prey Kuk temple as a world heritage site, the Rasmei Kampuchea newspaper reported Monday.
Sambo Prey Kuk temple, which was built from 615 AD to 650 AD, is located in the Kompong Thom province.
“We are preparing the proposal for UN to register the temple, which was built during the rule of Khmer King Isanverman I, with the Committee of World Heritage,” the newspaper quoted Som Sokhun, secretary of state at the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, as saying.
The government has to organise a master plan for development and conservation of the temple, he said.
Sambo Prey Kuk temple was even older than the world-renowned Angkor Wat in Siem Reap province, he said.
It was built with clay, but not stones, with which the Angkor Wat was constructed, he said.
The Sambo Prey Kuk temple is expected to become a place for people to study and research Khmer culture, construction, arts and history, he added.
The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) has already listed the Angkor Wat and the Preah Vihear temple as world heritage sites.
- Hindus want disputed Thai-Cambodia Hindu Shiva temple be transferred to UN control - Feb 06, 2011
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
- President Patil mesmerized by Angkor Wat, advocates cultural exchange - Sep 17, 2010
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to UN-sponsored meeting over temple damage - Mar 12, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand continue border clashes for the fourth day - Apr 26, 2011
- Thailand and Cambodia agree to ceasefire - Apr 28, 2011
- Thai-Cambodia clashes continue into fifth day - Apr 26, 2011
- World's largest Hindu temple to come up in Bihar - Mar 05, 2012
- Foundation laid for Angkor Wat-replica in Bihar - Jun 21, 2012
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- Angkor Wat replica to come up in Bihar - May 13, 2012
- Thai soldier killed less than one day after ceasefire agreed with Cambodia - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: angkor wat, cambodia, fine arts, khmer culture, kompong thom, ministry of culture, old temple, phnom penh, preah vihear, proposal, rasmei kampuchea, secretary of state, unesco, world heritage site, world heritage sites, xinhua