Cambodia suggests Asean summit in IndonesiaDecember 8th, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, Dec 8 (Xinhua) Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen Monday suggested the summit meet of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) may be held in Indonesia as the bloc’s current chair Thailand, in the thick of political turmoil, has expressed inability to hold the event. Thailand, which currently holds the Asean’s rotating presidency, has requested postponement of the bloc’s summit in mid-December to March next year because of politcal crisis in the country.
The summit should not be postponed, Hun Sen told reporters here, adding that “we have to meet to solve many issues, including the global financial crisis.”
“If we delay the summit, the Asean will move backward,” he said.
“The Asean should not be the hostage of Thai political crisis”, Hun Sen said.
The summit should be held at the Asean secretariat in Indonesia’s Jakarta and Thailand can still hold the chair of the summit as Singapore’s prime pinister requested, he added.
The Asean is a 10-nation grouping for economic cooperation comprising Brunei, Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia. Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- Cambodia favours ceasefire with Thailand under ASEAN aegis - Feb 17, 2011
- ASEAN Summit begins - Apr 03, 2012
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- Oil, gas, mineral, exploration potential with Cambodia huge: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to remove troops from disputed border - Sep 16, 2011
- President Patil receives traditional welcome in Cambodia - Sep 14, 2010
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- India steps up ASEAN diplomacy, Singapore PM on way - Jul 09, 2012
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
- Patil arrives in Cambodia to boost ties (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Russia to be regular at ASEAN summits - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: asean secretariat, asean summit, association of southeast asian nations, brunei darussalam, economic cooperation, global financial crisis, phnom penh, political crisis, political turmoil, southeast asian nations