Calling NRO political move defames Pakistan, says BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:54 am ICT by admin
She said the NRO meant that no parliamentarian could be arrested without prior permission from a Parliamentary Committee.
An uniformed President is not acceptable to the PPP, Bhutto said, adding that the PPP had not resigned from the assembly during the presidential election as a “confidence-building measure”.
“The PPP did not participate in the election and abstained from voting,” she said.
Bhutto said that democracy could not be strengthened in the presence of Article 58(2b).
“The PPP and the government are negotiating for the removal of Article 58(2b) and a ban on three-time premiership,” she said.
On giving the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) direct access to Dr AQ Khan, Bhutto said that her agenda is to protect Pakistan’s nuclear assets, not individuals.
She said that Dr Khan had admitted involvement in nuclear proliferation, but her government would investigate the matter to ascertain the truth.
“We will make sure to find out who has been involved in nuclear proliferation and can give the IAEA access to Dr Khan for this purpose,” she said, adding that she would also find out whether Dr Khan was made a scapegoat.
The Daily Times quoted Bhutto as saying that she would be her party’s candidate for premiership if the PPP came into power. (ANI)
- Pak denies transferring nuke know-how's to North Korea - Dec 30, 2009
- Gilani defends not tabling NRO in parliament - Nov 03, 2009
- US N-deal talk with Pakistan 'astonishing', says BJP - Mar 24, 2010
- Musharraf approaching international powers to fob off Pak govt 'witch hunt' - Apr 15, 2011
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- US to renew demand for direct access to AQ Khan - Sep 26, 2010
- US still concerned about A.Q. Khan network - Aug 04, 2010
- Next government can approach Swiss courts: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan parliament passes resolution supporting Gilani (Night Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Musharraf to unite all factions of PML upon return to Pakistan - Jan 25, 2010
- US must end 'world's most dangerous place' Pakistan's double game on terror: Book (Part-2) - Jan 08, 2011
- `Give Pakistan n-deal carrot to win counter-terror cooperation' - Feb 11, 2010
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
- PPP to observe Benazir's 58th birthday Tuesday - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: 2b, admitted involvement, aq, ary television, ascertain, atomic energy agency, benazir bhutto, confidence building, dr khan, IAEA, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, nro, nuclear proliferation, pakistan, parliamentarian, parliamentary committee, political move, ppp, premiership