California’s Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculpturesApril 23rd, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), April 23 (ANI): Prestigious Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena (California, USA) is currently exhibiting 11thcentury sandstone Vishnu in its “Ancient Sculpture from the Hindu-Buddhist World” exhibition, which will continue till August one.
This exhibition examines the connoisseurship and conservation involved in identifying and preserving these ancient objects. It explores how the place of origin and date of an object can be determined by the rendering of drapery pleats, hairstyles and ornaments of iconic statuary from South and Southeast Asia dating from the 3rd through 13th centuries, according to Museum announcement. These works include study objects from India, Thailand, Cambodia and Afghanistan.
Applauding Norton Simon Museum for exhibiting Hindu focused art, distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that art had a long and rich tradition in Hinduism and ancient Sanskrit literature talked about religious paintings of deities on wood or cloth.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, urged major art museums of the world, including Musee du Louvre and Musee d’Orsay of Paris, Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Los Angeles Getty Center, Uffizi Gallery of Florence (Italy), Art Institute of Chicago, Tate Modern of London, Prado Museum of Madrid, National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, etc., to frequently organize Hindu art focused exhibitions, thus sharing the rich Hindu art heritage with the rest of the world.
The Norton Simon Museum, with history going back to 1922, is known around the world as one of the most remarkable private art collections ever assembled, including a stellar collection of South and Southeast Asian art spanning 2,000 years. The Museum housesover 12,000 objects.(ANI)
- American museums offering online Hinduism resources - Nov 13, 2010
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- Famous Los Angeles Getty Museum exhibiting Ganesha and Vishnu - Mar 01, 2011
- Brooklyn Museum in USA to exhibit Lord Vishnu from June - Mar 05, 2011
- Canadian art gallery displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne - Nov 22, 2010
- National Museum of Korea displaying Hindu god masks - Nov 23, 2010
- Major American museums carry Hindu Lord Shiva statues - Feb 20, 2011
- Hindus laud Peabody Essex Museum for organizing Hindu gods exhibition - Feb 13, 2011
- Leading New Zealand museum holds exhibition on 'bindi' - Oct 26, 2010
- Philadelphia Museum of Art displaying Radha-Krishna in its miniatures exhibition - Dec 13, 2010
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
- World's 1st major exhibition on Hindu Lord Vishnu premiered at Nashville in USA - Feb 21, 2011
- Pennsylvania's Allentown Museum exhibiting Vishnu & other Hindu sculptures - Aug 10, 2010
- New York's famed Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibiting "Scenes from Ramayana" - Sep 20, 2010
- Art Institute of Chicago has created "Be a Vishnu Avatar" lesson plan for students - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: ancient sculpture, art institute of chicago, buddhist world, getty center, hindu art, hindu statesman, metropolitan museum of art, musee d orsay, musee du louvre, national gallery of art, norton simon museum, prado museum, prestigious norton, private art collections, rajan zed, religious paintings, southeast asian art, tate modern, uffizi gallery, world exhibition