Californian angler becomes world’s 1st to catch 1,000 different species of fish!September 3rd, 2010 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 03 (ANI): A Californian angler has become the first person in the world to catch 1,000 different species of fish.
Californian Steve Wozniak, 47, who broke the ultimate fishing record, has spent 10 years pursuing the astonishing quest that has seen him fish in 63 different countries.
He has spent 20,000 hours on riverbanks, piers, beaches and boats waiting for a nibble from fish ranging from a tiny minnow to a 900lb shark.
Steve has forked out more than 50,000 pounds and racked up over one million air miles criss-crossing the globe with his rod and tackle over the last decade.
Steve has also broken 12 International Game Fishing Association records along the way and has another five pending.
His mammoth efforts finally paid off when he snared a 2lb coalfish in a Norwegian fjord to net the record, which is being dubbed the Cast of a Thousand.
“It is very humbling to be the only person in the world to catch 1,000 different species of fish,” the Daily Mail quoted Steve as saying.
“It has been an almighty challenge and one where there have been many highs and many lows, like trying to catch a tench fish which seemed to elude me for seven years.
“When I caught the coalfish I think I expected it to be this big fanfare event but I was sat in a boat in a peaceful fjord an hour below the Arctic circle.
“I just sort of sat there with a glow of accomplishment,” he added. (ANI)
- German pensioner catches world record halibut weighing over 34 stone - Nov 24, 2010
- Angler eats huge sea bass that could have been a record breaker - Nov 08, 2011
- Test your nerves against sport fish in Himachal - Mar 11, 2012
- Propelled by shutdowns, Kashmiris 'fish' for pastime at Dal (Feature)(With Images) - Mar 07, 2012
- Game for trout! Anglers ready for Manali contest - Sep 09, 2010
- Junior angler aged 9 lands record-breaking catch in Oz - Feb 22, 2011
- Fish kills two men by biting off their testicles - Dec 29, 2011
- Pit wits against game fish in Himachal - Mar 07, 2010
- Rare Apple 1 computer to be auctioned - Jun 15, 2012
- It's time for trout fishing in Himachal streams - May 29, 2011
- World's biggest freshwater fish caught by a woman - Nov 19, 2010
- Steve Wozniak talks about Steve Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- A fish that 'walks' in water - Aug 27, 2010
- Hooked on the hilsa - Sep 07, 2011
- Angler hooks scuba diver instead of fish - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: air miles, angler, arctic circle, californian, daily mail, different species of fish, fishing association, game fishing, international game, last decade, lows, minnow, nibble, norwegian fjord, piers, riverbanks, species of fish, steve wozniak, tench fish, ultimate fishing