California wild fires forcing mass celebrity evacuationNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:40 am ICT by admin
Weather forecasts indicated that firefighters and residents faced two more days of high winds, hot temperatures and low humidity in the drought-stricken region.
The Malibu fire burned 2,200 acres from dawn to dusk and destroyed at least 10 buildings, including a landmark castle-like house and a Presbyterian church, officials said. No injuries were reported.
To the south in rural San Diego County, officials said one person died and 17 others were injured, including four firefighters, in a fire that scorched 14,000 acres and shrouded the skies over San Diego harbor to the west.
Another fire in San Diego forced the evacuation of all 36,000 residents of the town of Ramona.
Meanwhile, fire chiefs warned thousands of homes could be destroyed by the blaze in the up-market Malibu Crest and Serra Retreat areas, and admitted they could not control the fire because of the winds gusting at up to 65mph.
Thick smoke obscured the sun in the exclusive beachfront area, just 25 miles from Hollywood.
‘This fire is zero-per cent contained, which means we are at the mercy of the winds,’ the paper quoted Malibu Mayor Pamela Conley Ulich, as saying.
Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman said he expected the fire to last ‘a couple of days’.
More than 400 firemen battled the fire as it jumped from mountain-side canyons home to expansive ranches to the beach.
California Govenor Arnold Schwarzenegger said he was receiving briefings on the fire and would send more resources if needed. (ANI)
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
- At least 4 confirmed killed, 24 injured in San Bruno gas explosion - Sep 10, 2010
- Schwarzenegger declares fire emergency in Los Angeles - Aug 29, 2009
- Firefighters try to contain Arizona wildfire - Jun 07, 2011
- Wildfires scorch nearly 7,000 acres in California - Aug 16, 2009
- 8 missing in Colorado wildfire, 136 homes destroyed - Sep 09, 2010
- Wildfire Near Tehachapi Burns More Than 30 Homes - Jul 28, 2010
- Rancho Palos Verdes Fire Spreading - Aug 28, 2009
- WildFire Engulfs Parts Of Palmdale, Hundreds Evacuated - Jul 30, 2010
- Temecula Fire Destroys 12 Structures - Sep 20, 2009
- Wildfires Spread In Boulder, Large Scale Evacuations Takes Place - Oct 30, 2010
- 1500 Homes Evacuated: Herriman, Utah Fire Caused by Nat'l Guard Training - Sep 20, 2010
- Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homes - Sep 12, 2011
- San Bruno Gas Explosion Destroys 54 Homes, Thousands Evacuate, Current Death Toll 6 - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, barbara streisand, california govenor, california wild fires, church officials, dawn to dusk, expansive ranches, fire chiefs, firefighters, mail, malibu fire, mel gibson, olivia newton john, pierce brosnan, residents, side canyons, stricken region, ted danson, town of ramona, weather forecasts