California passes bill on Sikh symbol kirpanJune 3rd, 2009 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, June 3 (IANS) The California assembly has passed a bill that makes it mandatory for the state to train law enforcement agencies about the Sikh symbol kirpan.
The bill AB-504, which was passed unanimously by the assembly Monday, will now go to the state senate for its nod before Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signs it to make it a law.
Enjoying bipartisan support, the bill was passed 59-0 by the assembly in the California capital of Sacramento.
When it finally becomes a law, it will be the first such legislation in any US state to train law officers about the Sikh religion and kirpan.
Apart from being victims of hate crimes after 9/11, many Sikhs have been stopped at airports and other places for wearing kirpan.
Many of them were also denied entry or arrested for carrying kirpan in public places in violation of concealed weapons laws.
Various Sikh organisations, led by the Sikh Coalition, lobbied with state legislature and senate members to pass the bill introduced by assemblyman Warren Furutani of Long Beach.
Under the law, California would incorporate training about the kirpan in the curriculum for law enforcement officer training.
“It is the legislature’s goal to promote education and awareness of the carrying of the kirpan by Sikhs in California,” says the preamble of the bill.
Law enforcement officers will be trained “how to recognise and interact with persons carrying a kirpan”, the preamble adds.
“Our hope is that being educated about the kirpan and its religious significance will decrease the number of wasteful arrests,” the Sikh Coalition said.
The bill was introduced in the assembly in February.
- California will have an Act telling people why Sikhs wear Kirpans - Jun 03, 2009
- Bill to educate police on kirpan vetoed by Schwarzenegger - Oct 13, 2009
- Kirpan bill to be re-introduced in California after veto - Oct 14, 2009
- Kirpan bill introduced in California assembly - Feb 28, 2009
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Canadian Sikhs angry as Quebec assembly bans kirpan - Feb 10, 2011
- Sikhs with kirpans denied entry to Quebec assembly - Jan 20, 2011
- November to be Sikh Awareness Month in California - Sep 05, 2010
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
- US senators call for Sikh hate crime tracking - Aug 24, 2012
- Kirpan ban slammed by Canadian opposition, media - Jan 21, 2011
- US House resolution for tracking hate crimes against Sikhs - Aug 15, 2012
- Sikh Americans show solidarity after gurdwara tragedy - Aug 07, 2012
- Away from Punjab - the south Indian Sikhs (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, assemblyman, bipartisan support, california assembly, california capital, governor arnold schwarzenegger, june 3, kirpan, law enforcement agencies, long beach, nod, preamble, religious significance, senate members, sikh religion, sikhs, state legislature, state senate, victims of hate crimes, warren furutani