California holds fund raiser for eye hospitals in IndiaNovember 19th, 2008 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Nov 19 (IANS) Having completed setting up three eye hospitals in India this year, the US-based non-profit Sankara Eye Foundation (SEF) has now begun raising funds for two more charitable eye hospitals in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.At a fund raiser event - marked by a cultural extravaganza - this weekend at Hayward in California, the foundation raised $10,000 for the two hospitals.
“We have not identified the cities yet, where the eye hospitals would be constructed. We are still in the selection process,” said C. Sudheer from the Sankara Eye Foundation.
The fund raiser was organised in association with the Uttar Pradesh Association of North America.
“More such fund raisers are being planned in other parts of the US. We would purchase the land, once we collect 30 percent of our project money and would start construction, once we have 60 percent of the project money,” he said.
Addressing the gathering, Murali Krishnamurthy, chairman of the Sankara Eye Foundation, said this year they had completed three hospitals in Bangalore, Shimoga (Karnataka) and Anand (Gujarat).
Working towards the objective of eradication of curable blindness in India, the Sankara Eye Foundation runs a series of charitable eye hospitals and conducts free eye operations for the needy. This year, it has performed around 100,000 free eye surgeries in India.
- 'Bollywood meets Hollywood' to raise funds for Punjab eye hospital - Jul 10, 2010
- Chinese journalists provide free lunch - Apr 09, 2012
- Assam villagers angry at ULFA extortion bid - Mar 13, 2012
- Hudson to host charity dinner for late nephew - Jun 06, 2012
- World 10K run raises Rs.1.63 crore for charity - May 21, 2012
- Students run 'Marathon of Hope' for cancer patients in Mumbai - Feb 14, 2010
- Andhra Government vows to take action in eye camp blinding incident - Oct 26, 2009
- G.M.Rao to create $340 mn fund for charitable activities - Mar 22, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' sees different aarakshan in Nepal - Aug 14, 2011
- Stiller to open schools in Haiti - Dec 13, 2011
- Vivek Oberoi urges people to support senior citizens - Sep 15, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi expresses concern over high school dropout rate among children - Feb 04, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi blames Mayawati for deteriorating law and order condition in UP - Feb 10, 2011
- Samuel L. Jackson hosts charity golf tournament - Sep 23, 2010
- 11-year-old boy dies after falling into pit - Feb 21, 2011