California Governor Schwarzenegger orders mass layoffsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 6:47 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Feb 18 (DPA) California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger issued 20,000 layoff notices and halted work on the state’s remaining 276 public projects as intransigent Republican lawmakers continued to stonewall efforts to pass a budget.
The budget impasse prompted legislative leader to hold parliamentarians in their chambers Tuesday until they reached an agreement.
“Bring a toothbrush,” Senate president Darrell Steinberg told legislators as he convened the session Tuesday morning. “I will not allow anyone to go home to resume their lives or any kind of normal business.”
The dramatic action came after emergency measures earlier this month forced the closure of hundreds of state offices for two days a week, the issue of IOU’s instead of tax refunds, and a halt to 5,700 other public works projects.
“In the absence of a budget, the governor has the responsibility to realize savings any way he can,” said Aaron McLear, Schwarzenegger’s spokesman.
The impasse has continued since October as the recession forces California to deal with a $42-billion budget deficit over the next two fiscal years.
As the state constitution requires the budget be passed by a two- thirds majority, Republican lawmakers who signed a “no new tax” pledge have effective veto power over the proposal. They have refused to back a plan that calls for $16 billion in spending cuts, $11 billion in borrowing and more than $14 billion in temporary tax hikes.
Reports from the state capital Sacramento said that the marathon efforts over the last week had succeeded in enticing two Republican lawmakers to back the budget proposal supported by Schwarzenegger, the Democrats and the two Republican leaders in the legislature. Efforts were continuing Tuesday to persuade one more Republican to back the budget and give it the required majority.
- The Californian State To Deliver An Imbursement Of $20 Million To The Kidnapped Victim, Jaycee Dugard - Jul 02, 2010
- Republican Abel Maldonado Nominated As Lieutenant Governor By Governer Arnold Schwarzenegger - Nov 24, 2009
- Arnold Schwarzenegger declared California a bear statue - Apr 08, 2009
- Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory - Dec 23, 2011
- Schwarzenegger inks budget, ends California cash crisis - Jul 29, 2009
- I would run for U.S. President if law were changed: Schwarzenegger - May 01, 2010
- Schwarzenegger declares fiscal emergency in California - Jul 02, 2009
- Minnesota shutdown finally ends - Jul 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin hits back at Arnie's 'can't see Russia' Twitter jibe - Sep 11, 2010
- Schwarzenegger honors Harvey with 'Harvey Milk Day' - Oct 13, 2009
- Jerry Brown Returns As Governor Of California - Jan 03, 2011
- Maria Shriver caught driving while talking on cell phone - Oct 15, 2009
- Near bankruptcy, California starts issuing IOU's instead of cheques - Feb 03, 2009
- Maria Shriver Uses Cell Phone While Driving- Violates State Law - Oct 14, 2009
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, budget impasse, budget proposal, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, california governor schwarzenegger, dramatic action, emergency measures, governor arnold schwarzenegger, layoff notices, legislative leader, marathon efforts, mass layoffs, mclear, public works projects, republican lawmakers, senate president, state constitution, tax pledge, veto power