Calcium pills raise heart attack riskMay 24th, 2012 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Taking calcium supplements can push up the risk of a heart attack, and could do more harm than good, warn researchers.
People take calcium supplements as they are recommended for strengthening bones against osteoporosis. But, according to the study, the supplements can no longer be seen as a low-cost panacea against thinning bones, Daily Mail reported Thursday.
Instead, the scientists suggest, people should eat more calcium-rich foods like milk, cheese and green, leafy vegetables.
Researchers looked at records for 24,000 people in Germany aged 35 to 64 taking part in a nutrition research project in the 1990s.
Their diet was analysed and they were asked if they had taken vitamin or mineral supplements in the previous month.
The volunteers were tracked for 11 years, during which there were 354 heart attacks, 260 strokes and 267 associated deaths, the Mail said.
Those taking any supplements, including calcium, were found to be 86 percent more likely to have a heart attack than those who did not take any. But the risk for those taking only calcium was even higher.
Ian Reid and Mark Bolland, of the University of Auckland, New Zealand, said people should be discouraged from taking the boosters.
- Calcium supplements 'ups heart attack risk in older women' - Apr 20, 2011
- Calcium supplements may up heart attack risk for women - Jul 30, 2010
- Calcium supplements cause heart problems in women? - Apr 24, 2011
- Dietary calcium, supplements better than prescription bone-building meds - May 03, 2011
- Calcium supplements 'increase heart attack risk' - Jul 30, 2010
- Try dietary calcium, Vitamin D for bone building - May 03, 2011
- Calcium Supplements May Increase Chances Of Heart Attack, Says New Study - Aug 01, 2010
- Calcium supplements' link to heart attack risk 'overstated' - Jul 31, 2010
- Calcium Supplements Associated With Amplification In Heart Attacks - Aug 01, 2010
- 'Anti-ageing' vitamin could weaken your bones - Mar 06, 2012
- Keep tab on osteoporosis pain-reliever: Experts (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2011
- Salty diets tied to kidney stones, osteoporosis - Jul 25, 2012
- Fad diets could result in osteoporosis - Jul 23, 2010
- Osteoporosis, the next big health worry for India (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 20, 2011
- 'Osteoporosis strikes young due to sedentary lifestyle' (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: 11 years, auckland new zealand, calcium pills, calcium rich foods, calcium supplements, daily mail, green leafy vegetables, heart attack, heart attack risk, heart attacks, mark bolland, may 24, milk cheese, mineral supplements, nutrition research project, osteoporosis, panacea, strokes, university of auckland, university of auckland new zealand