Cairo mob raped me with their hands, says CBS reporter Lara Logan

April 29th, 2011 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI  

London, April 29 (ANI): CBS foreign correspondent Lara Logan has spoken out for the first time about her terrifying sexual assault in Egypt.

Describing how attackers raped her with their hands, Logan said she was convinced she was going to die when the frenzied mob tore her away from her film crew and bodyguard in Cairo’s Tahrir Square.

A group of at least 200 men beat her, pinched her and tore at her clothes in a 40-minute attack, which only ended when a group of women came to her aid.

“For an extended period of time, they raped me with their hands…What really struck me was how merciless they were,” the Daily Mail quoted her as telling the New York Times.

“They really enjoyed my pain and suffering. It incited them to more violence,” she added.

The 39-year-old was attacked on February 11, 2011, on her first day back in the city - and the day Hosni Mubarak’s government finally fell.

She had been forced to leave a week before after she was detained and interrogated by Egyptian forces.

Logan and her film crew made their way to Tahrir Square, where a jubilant crowd begged her for autographs.

But suddenly, as was preparing a report for 60 Minutes, the mood turned violent.

The camera battery went down, forcing the crew to stop.

As they worked to replace it her Egyptian cameraman heard one of the men in the crowd say he wanted to pull her pants down in Arabic.

She told CBS: “Suddenly, Bahar [the Egyptian cameraman] looks at me and says, “we’ve got to get out of here”.

“I thought, not only am I going to die here, but it’s going to be just a torturous death that’s going to go on forever and ever and ever.”

“That was literally the moment the mob set on me,” she added.

The attack lasted 40 minutes. She was only rescued when a group of local women brought 20 Egyptian soldiers to her head. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe