Caesarean could pose health risk to babiesFebruary 10th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 10 (IANS) Mothers opting for delivery through caesarean section could be harming their baby’s health, researchers have warned contrary to the widely-held belief that a C-section delivery poses no health risks to the baby.
In a study, conducted by a team at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, the US researchers found that the procedure did not help some pre-term babies who were small for gestational age and may have contributed to breathing problems in them, the Daily Express reported.
The babies — often with mothers “too posh to push” — had 30 percent higher odds of developing respiratory distress syndrome than similar pre-term babies born naturally.
The research was presented to the annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Foetal Medicine.
Expert Diane Ashton, said: “These findings overturn conventional wisdom.”
Between 2002 and 2009, caesarean deliveries in the US rose from 27 percent of births to 34 percent, according to a HealthGrades report. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently reported a dip in rates to slightly under 33 percent in 2010.
- Mom's voice perks up premature baby's condition - Mar 09, 2012
- New blood test will warn of premature births - Sep 06, 2011
- Babies born by caesarean more likely to be obese - May 24, 2012
- Tiniest, largest foetuses at greater risk of stillbirth - Jun 28, 2012
- Premature babies survive better in neonatal ICUs - Jul 24, 2012
- Babies born a week earlier at higher autism risk - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- Rise in Caesarian surgeries in China alarming - May 13, 2010
- Obesity-high blood sugar combo creates pregnancy risks - Apr 12, 2012
- Smoking ban leads to major decrease in maternal smoking, pre-term births - Nov 11, 2010
- Premature births leading cause of infant deaths - Feb 11, 2010
- Caesarean babies have higher risk of asthma - Jan 11, 2012
- Traditional delivery for breech babies safer than C-section for mums - Oct 27, 2010
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Prepregnancy, obesity, gestational weight gain influence preterm birth risk - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: ashton, baltimore maryland, breathing problems, c section delivery, caesarean section, conventional wisdom, daily express, deliveries, disease control and prevention, foetal medicine, gestational age, health researchers, health risk, health risks, johns hopkins school, johns hopkins school of medicine, london feb, respiratory distress syndrome, school of medicine, term babies