Cabbie gets Hirst doodle as tip, now worth 5,000 poundsApril 12th, 2010 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 12 (IANS) A British taxi driver received a sketch, which looks little more than a doodle, as a tip from Damien Hirst, the artist well-known for pickling a shark in formaldehyde. The doodle is now said to be worth 5,000 pounds, a media report said.
Hirst got on well with taxi driver Jon Horsley, 40, during a 30-minute ride from Chelsea Harbour to Mayfair about 18 months ago. He then handed over a sketch with the 20 pound fare, Daily Mail reported Monday.
Art experts have now valued it at 1,500 pounds and and said it could even fetch up to 5,000 pounds at auction.
Hirst took just a few minutes to produce the pencil drawing in the back of the taxi. It features a shark, butterfly and skull, which are elements from some of his most famous art works.
The artist then went on to sign it for Horsley’s 15-year-old son who is studying art.
The artist, who is known for covering a skull in diamonds, has been dubbed the ‘enfant terrible’ of the art world.
“He’s an incredible artist, one of the best we have. This is a lovely little drawing. It’s childlike. It’s wonderful. It makes you laugh and smile. That’s its charm,” Mary McCarthy, contemporary art director at Dreweatts & Bloomsbury, who will auction the sketch in nine days, was quoted as saying.
Hirst’s fortune reportedly topped 235 million pounds last year.
- 'Insensitive' Damien Hirst slammed for using baby's skull in new artwork - Jan 10, 2011
- Damien Hirst logs on to India with affordable prints (With Image) - Jan 28, 2012
- Damien Hirst donates paintings for charity - Oct 06, 2008
- Stella McCartney donates sketch to auction - May 05, 2012
- Damien Hirst: 'I Was Inspired by Blue Peter' - Aug 30, 2012
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Shekhar Kapur wants Damien Hirst for his next - Jan 15, 2012
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Damien Hirst rescued me: Ronnie Wood - Sep 08, 2011
- Beckhams get designer painting for Harper - Aug 03, 2012
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
- Damien Hirst thirst rakes in £70m at Sotheby's auction - Sep 16, 2008
- Rupert Grint wanted to be an artist - Nov 23, 2010
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: art director, art experts, art world, bloomsbury, contemporary art, daily mail, damien hirst, doodle, famous art, formaldehyde, horsley, laugh and smile, mary mccarthy, mayfair, nine days, shark, sketch, skull, studying art, taxi driver