Bushs lowest point during presidency was being called a racist post Hurricane KatrinaJanuary 15th, 2009 - 6:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 15 (ANI): President George W. Bush has revealed that the lowest point of his presidency was being called a racist in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
In the days following the disaster caused by Katrina, Bush was criticized for what most say was a slow federal response to aiding victims, especially in the heavily African-American, Lower Ninth Ward neighborhood of New Orleans.
I think being called a racist because of Katrina was a low point, Politico.com quoted Bush as telling CNNs Larry King.
Added to the comments was one from entertainer Kanye West, who said during a live hurricane relief fundraiser on network television that George Bush doesnt care about black people.
In fact, the truth of the matter is the response was pretty darn quick, Bush said.
If you think about the fact that the Coast Guard and a lot of brave kids were pulling 30,000 people off of roofs as soon as the storm passed, as soon as they found people on those roofs, he stated.
When King pointed out that a lot of mistakes were made in the days following the hurricane, Bush said: Well, yes, at all levels of government, absolutely.
And thats a good thing about government. By the way, we have had, that I know of, sitting right here, eight hurricanes, major hurricanes, and seven and a half were dealt with the way everybody expected them to be dealt with, Bush further said.
The Mississippi part of Katrina was dealt with well, even though it was a really horrible hurricane.
My brother was governor of Florida, and seven major hurricanes hit there. And the response was always pretty good. It’’s the response out of New Orleans and Louisiana which was not as good as we would have liked, he added. (ANI)
- George W. Bush Responds To Kanye West's Racial Comment, Calls It Disgusting - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama''s White House site slams Bush on Hurricane Katrina response - Jan 21, 2009
- George W. Bush reveals his most nervous moment of presidency - Sep 13, 2011
- Kanye West Responds To The Comments Made By George Bush - Nov 04, 2010
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Over a million homes without power in storm-hit US states - Aug 31, 2012
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- This Time Matt Lauer Angers Kanye West - Nov 12, 2010
- Kanye West's Katrina rant most disgusting moment of Presidency: Bush - Nov 04, 2010
- Yahoo fires journalist after Romney joke - Aug 31, 2012
- Kanye West Sympathizes With George Bush - Nov 06, 2010
- Bush has forgiven Kanye West for calling him 'racist' - Nov 11, 2010
- Obama visits Katrina-ravaged New Orleans - Oct 16, 2009
- Hundreds evacuated as storm floods homes in Bobby Jindal's state - Aug 30, 2012
- New Orleans Still In The Rebuilding Process Five Years After Hurricane Katrina - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: aftermath of hurricane katrina, brave kids, bush doesnt care about black people, federal response, fundraiser, george bush, george bush doesnt care about black people, george w bush, governor of florida, hurricane relief, hurricanes, kanye west, larry king, levels of government, lower ninth ward neighborhood, network television, ninth ward, president george w bush, roofs, truth of the matter