Bushfire prompts call for national phone warning system in AustraliaFebruary 12th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Feb 12 (Xinhua) An emergency warning system for the whole of Australia should be set up before the next fire season, Victorian Emergency Services Commissioner Bruce Esplin has said.
Esplin said the system could be used for a range of emergencies, including bushfires, floods, a terrorist attack or a tsunami, Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported Thursday.
The commissioner said he was frustrated by the delays in establishing a system that would send a message to phones during an emergency, and blamed this on bickering between the states and territories about how it would operate.
He appealed for this to end and for a national system to be set up. “We must agree on a system and put it in place before the next season,” Esplin was cited by AAP as saying.
“I think it’s taken too long and I think we need to work as a country, not as separate states and territories, and it’s time we did that and protected our community,” he added.
Referred to as “electronic door knocks”, the system could send a text or voice message to land lines and mobile telephones, he said.
A landline system has been tested in Victoria and Western Australia which would involve people volunteering to place themselves on a register to receive calls.
The official death toll of the worst bushfire in Australian history stood at 181, though officials said it could exceed 200.
- Australia wonders how to cope with future bushfires - Feb 17, 2009
- Oz-England ODI to be Queensland floods fundraiser - Jan 05, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Australian catastrophes cost insurers $4.4 bn in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Huge chemical fire breaks out in Canberra - Sep 16, 2011
- Oz PM Gillard says trade union official's 9/11 comment ' stupid and wrong' - Oct 20, 2010
- Terrorists sought Somali cleric's 'fatwa' to wage jihad against 'decadent' Australia - Sep 14, 2010
- Indian attacks: Oz senator criticises Victoria Premier for lashing out at Indian media - Feb 04, 2010
- Victorian police' 'racist emails' "unhelpful" for country's image, warns Oz diplomat - Oct 11, 2010
- 15 more Australian cops face probe over racist emails - Oct 11, 2010
- Australian state braces for scorcher amid bushfire threat - Feb 26, 2009
- Meet me again, Australian state premier to Indian envoy - Feb 04, 2010
- Australia to unveil new Multiculturalism Policy to tackle racial discrimination - Feb 16, 2011
- Australia appoints new sports commission chief - Sep 12, 2012
- Australian police raid Greenpeace's offices in Sydney - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: aap, australia canberra, australian associated press, australian history, death toll, emergencies, emergency services, fire season, floods, mobile telephones, official death, terrorist attack, tsunami, victoria, voice message, warning system, western australia, xinhua