Bush presidency saw biggest ever increase in debt in US historyFebruary 14th, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 14 (ANI): Former President George W Bush was saved by just 24 days from running up a five trillion dollar government debt, but his presidency saw the biggest increase in the national debt as compared to the reign of earlier presidents.
The latest posting on the Department of the Treasury website shows the national debt just hit 10.759-trillion dollars. And that 5-trillion dollars and change more than it was on the day President Bush took office on January 20, 2001, the CBS News reported.
Even so, Bush ran up the biggest increase in the national debt of any American president. The Debt was 5.727-trillion dollars on his first day in the White House. And on the day he left, it was 10.626-trillion dollars.
So far, the national debt has increased 133-billion dollars since the day Barack Obama became President. That averages out to 5.3-billion dollars a day.
The Congressional Budget Office estimates the federal deficit this year will hit an all-time high of 1.2-trillion dollars and that doesnt include the stimulus bill. (ANI)
- Obama signs deal to avoid catastrophic US default (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- US deficit hits $1.1 trillion - Aug 11, 2011
- Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high - Jun 15, 2012
- US budget deficit hits $98 bn - Nov 11, 2011
- US federal budget deficit reaches $137 bn in November - Dec 13, 2011
- US House passes historic debt deal (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- China holds 1.6 trillion dollars of US debt: Treasury Department - Mar 02, 2011
- Congress must act now on debt limit: Top US official - Jul 15, 2011
- China's US debt holdings at $1.16 trillion - Mar 01, 2011
- Top Republican Congressman confident of deficit deal - Oct 16, 2011
- Obama requests $1.2 trillion rise in borrowing limit - Jan 13, 2012
- South Korea's foreign reserves grow in three months - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- US federal government has $69.6 bn deficit - Aug 11, 2012
- Obama vows US won't default - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: american president, barack obama, billion dollars, bush presidency, cbs news, congressional budget office, department of the treasury, dollar government, feb 14, federal deficit, former president, george w bush, government debt, january 20, national debt, president bush, president george w bush, stimulus bill, treasury website, trillion