Bullet mailed to Turin mayor over high-speed rail linkJanuary 26th, 2010 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Turin (Italy), Jan 26 (IANS/AKI) A bullet was mailed to Turin mayor Sergio Chiamparino for his support of a controversial Italy-to-France high-speed train which opponents say will damage the environment.
The 9-calibre bullet arrived Monday at city hall two days after thousands of people gathered in the Italian town Susa, along the border with France, to protest the train line. Residents say the tunnels will harm the Susa Valley’s fragile ecosystem.
Italy and France in 2001 agreed to build the 15 billion euro line from Turin to Lyon in central France, which will serve as a link in the European network and cut travel time between Milan and Paris from seven to four hours.
It’s not uncommon in Italy for bullets to be mailed to adversaries as threats. Police are investigating a package containing three bullets mailed earlier this month to a prominent anti-terrorism judge in the northern city of Milan.
“I’m completely calm and I won’t change the work I’m doing for the TAV,” Chiamparino said Monday, referring to the high-speed train. ”
- Italians protest high-speed rail link to France - Jul 04, 2011
- Ferrari, Lavazza designer dies at 85 - Jul 03, 2012
- Fiat sales take a hit in Europe - Jun 16, 2012
- Italy bans New Year fireworks to protect pets - Dec 29, 2011
- Fiat profit more than doubled in fourth quarter - Feb 03, 2012
- Seventeen held for football match-fixing - Dec 20, 2011
- Rome mayor receives bullet through mail - Apr 14, 2011
- Berlusconi's son worries foes can hurt broadcasting empire - Jul 01, 2011
- Four tonnes of banned fireworks seized in Italy - Dec 30, 2011
- Berlusconi to take over AC Milan from daughter - Feb 17, 2012
- Smaller Italian firms to get 300 mn euro boost - Nov 28, 2009
- Japan halts Bullet trains - Mar 11, 2011
- Italian MPs are top earners in Europe - Jan 04, 2012
- Manchester teams score season's first victories in Champions League - Oct 19, 2011
- China to continue developing high speed trains - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: adversaries, bullets, calibre, central france, city hall, city of milan, euro line, fragile ecosystem, france high speed train, high speed rail, high speed train, italian town, italy and france, jg, lyon, susa valley, train line, travel time, tunnels, turin italy