Bulk of US troops may leave Iraq by August 2010

February 25th, 2009 - 5:49 am ICT by IANS  

Washington, Feb 25 (Xinhua) President Barak Obama plans to withdraw majority of the US troops from Iraq by August 2010, officials said.
According to the plan, of the 142,000 US troops in Iraq, 30,000-50,000 soldiers would remain in the country till December 2011, while the rest would move out by August 2010, media reports said quoting government officials.

A formal announcement in this regard was expected later this week.

Officials said Obama is discussing the matter with Defence Secretary Robert Gates and would make a formal announcement later this week, probably by Wednesday.

The new timetable for the troops’ pull out from Iraq would be three months later than Obama’s original pledge to withdraw troops within 16 months after his inauguration.

At least 4,250 US troops have died since the US invaded Iraq in March 2003. About $650 billion have been spent so far in the conflict.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe