Building collapse kills eight in ChinaJuly 6th, 2008 - 9:39 am ICT by IANS
Wuhan (China), July 6 (Xinhua) At least eight people have been killed and 13 injured in a building collapse in central China, officials have said. At least 20 construction workers were buried when a four-story building under construction collapsed Saturday evening in the suburb of Wuhan city in Hubei province, according to deputy city mayor Wan Yong.
Eight bodies have been recovered from the debris of the collapsed building as of Sunday morning, Wan said, adding that the rescued 13 workers have been rushed to a nearby hospital.
An investigation into the incident has been started and the police were searching for the contractor of the building, who was missing after the collapse, the official added.
The municipal authorities said construction of the building, a private residence, was illegal because it had not been approved by the local government.
- Nine trapped in China building collapse - Jun 20, 2011
- Chinese officials put on live TV show sweat it out - Jul 13, 2012
- Five killed in China building collapse - Mar 20, 2012
- Six dead in China building collapse - Mar 29, 2011
- 17 people killed, 24 others injured in Beijing building fire - Apr 25, 2011
- Building collapse kills six in China - Nov 23, 2011
- Central China city braces for flood - Jul 29, 2010
- Industrialist held after factory collapse leaves six dead - Apr 17, 2012
- Two skyscrapers collapse in Brazil - Jan 26, 2012
- Four dead in Beijing house collapse - May 05, 2012
- Youth killed in Ghatkopar building collapse - Sep 05, 2010
- Six die as water tank falls on China factory - May 11, 2011
- Congo blast: Toll rises to 200 - Mar 05, 2012
- Asian, Para games to cost China $18 bn - Oct 14, 2010
- China's Wuhan city wants to invest in Kolkata - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: building collapse, central china, china officials, city mayor, collapsed building, construction workers, debris, deputy city, local government, municipal authorities, nearby hospital, private residence, saturday evening, suburb, sunday morning, wuhan china, xinhua