Build global governance structures, India urges NAMAugust 30th, 2012 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 30 (IANS) Pointing to deficits in global governance, India Thursday called on the Non-Aligned Movement to “take the lead” in rectifying this and sought immediate steps to reduce tensions in global hotspots like West Asia and North Africa.
“The deficit in global governance is perhaps most stark in the sphere of international peace and security and in restoring just and fair economic mechanisms,” Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said while addressing the 16th NAM summit here.
“Our movement should take the lead in building global governance structures that are representative, credible and effective,” he said, adding it was his “sincere hope” there can be agreement “on action to reform institutions such as the United Nations Security Council, the World Bank and the IMF”.
“Existing problems cannot be solved effectively without a greater voice for developing countries on issues such as global trade, finance and investment,” Manmohan Singh said.
On the situation in West Asia and North Africa, the prime minister said that while India supports popular aspirations for a democratic and pluralistic order, “such transformation cannot be prompted by external intervention, which exacerbate the suffering of ordinary citizens”.
- Reform global governance structures, India urges NAM (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- India revives NAM tune amid Iranian PR hoopla - Sep 06, 2012
- India revives NAM tune amid Iranian PR hoopla (Lead, correcting para eight) - Sep 06, 2012
- PM leaves for Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves Tehran for home - Aug 31, 2012
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian PM arrives in Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Keen to visit Pakistan but in 'proper atmosphere': Manmohan Singh - Aug 31, 2012
- India should lead nuclear debate at NAM: Experts - Aug 29, 2012
- Iran not hankering after n-weapons: Ayatollah Khamenei (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Iran mulling oil refineries in Africa - Sep 03, 2012
- Zardari, Manmohan meeting could be significant: daily - Aug 30, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: economic mechanisms, external intervention, global governance structures, global trade finance, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, international peace, manmohan, manmohan singh, nam summit, nations security council, non aligned movement, north africa, ordinary citizens, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, take the lead, united nations security, united nations security council, west asia