Buddhist nun gangraped in Nepal busJune 27th, 2011 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, June 27 (IANS) A 21-year-old Buddhist nun was gangraped by five men inside a bus in eastern Nepal, media reports said Monday.
The victim, a resident of Bhojpur district in eastern Nepal, was travelling by bus when she was attacked by the group, which also included the driver of the bus.
According to reports, when the bus reached Sabhakhola town in Sankhuwasabha district Saturday night, the five men dragged the woman inside the bus.
The attackers included two teens, aged 17 and 18.
The nun was rescued by an ethnic organisation, the Sanghiya Limbuwan Rajya Parishad, whose members also caught the five men and handed them over to police.
The woman was taken to the local health centre. However, its services proved inadequate and she was taken to the B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Dharan.
There was no immediate reaction from Nepal’s Buddhist organisations.
Nepal is the birthplace of the Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, and many communities still follow the custom of sending one member of the family to a monastery or nunnery to become a monk or a nun.
- Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new ordeal in Nepal (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new ordeal in Nepal - Aug 16, 2011
- Under pressure, Nepal moves to help gangraped nun - Jul 16, 2011
- Support grows for gangraped Nepal nun - Jul 21, 2011
- 'Nepal king ordered destruction of Buddha statue' - Aug 08, 2011
- Struggle for gender equality in Buddhism ups global pitch - Dec 02, 2011
- Nepal's Buddhist nuns rally behind gangraped 'sister' - Aug 03, 2011
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Pink tour agency draws gay Buddhists to Nepal - Jan 05, 2011
- Tenzing's tribe angered by polygamy, polyandry slur in Nepal - Aug 23, 2010
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Nepal braces for Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations - Jul 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka gift brings Buddha alive in Nepal - May 17, 2011
- First Buddha film from Nepal to pre-empt Bollywood challenges - Jul 09, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: attackers, buddha, buddhist organisations, eastern nepal, five men, founder of buddhism, gangraped, health centre, institute of health, institute of health sciences, june 27, local health, member of the family, monastery, monk, nunnery, saturday night, travelling by bus