Buddha Jayanti celebrated in BodhgayaMay 19th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by admin
Bodhgaya, May 19 (ANI): Followers of Buddhism from across the world celebrated Lord Buddha’s birth anniversary with religious fervor in Bodh Gaya on Monday.
Followers from across the world thronged the holy land of Bodh Gaya to commemorate Buddha Jayanti.
Special prayers were organised under the Bodhi tree (the tree under which Lord Buddha attained enlightenment) and on this occasion where worshippers prayed for world peace.
“We have prayed here under this Bodhi tree for the well being of people around the world. We have also organised special prayers. We are praying for world peace so that natural calamities don’t strike people,” said Psiwali Teghro, a Buddhist Monk from Sri Lanka.
The devotees also took out a procession featuring a huge portrait of Lord Buddha and the event progressed with colorful dance performances.
The followers of Lord Buddha who came to be a part of this grand ceremony said the experience was inspiring and harmonious.
“It is wonderful to be here today on this wonderful day, the day of Buddha’s enlightenment in this holy land under the Bodhi tree. It was very inspiring to be here and to see the gathering of people who have come here to worship Lord Buddha. Today particularly it was so peaceful and so very harmonious I feel honoured,” said Richard Thero, a British devotee.
Buddha Purnima is the most sacred day for Buddhists as they take pilgrimage trips to the places associated with the founder of their faith Lord Buddha.
Lord Buddha, founder of Buddhism was born a prince at Lumbini in Nepal over 2,600 years ago. He attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya in Bihar.
Buddha Purnima falls on the full moon day, and this day holds special significance for the followers of Lord Buddha as the three main events of the life of Lord Buddha took place on the same day.
His birth, enlightenment and death all three occurred on the same date more than two millennia ago.
According to Hindu calendar based on lunar calculations these three main events fall on the full moon day in the month of Vaisakh (April to May).
Buddha’s teachings are aimed at liberating human beings from the misery and sufferings of life.
Lord Buddha attained enlightenment while doing penance under the Bodhi tree near the temple in Bodh Gaya. (ANI)
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: birth anniversary, bodhi tree, buddha jayanti, buddha purnima, buddhist monk, dance performances, devotee, followers of buddhism, founder of buddhism, full moon day, gaya, grand ceremony, hindu calendar, lord buddha, lumbini, natural calamities, religious fervor, thero, two millennia, world peace