Buckingham Palace officials livid over Sarkozy’s D-Day snub to QueenMay 27th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by ANI
London, May 27 (ANI): Buckingham Palace officials are very angry with French President Nicolas Sarkozy because he has not invited the Queen as a guest at next week’s D-Day 65th anniversary.
Organisers have revealed that the French President is focused on the “main event” of hosting his US counterpart Barack Obama.
French officials have admitted that they never had any plans to invite the monarch.
Their admission has “outraged” royal aides, who say that the Queen was keen to attend.
Palace officials say that snubbing the Queen was a “major insult” to the 17,566 British and 5,316 Canadian soldiers buried in Normandy.
“These thousands of Brits and Canadians died to free France but now it appears the French can’t even be bothered to invite the one person who represents them,” the Sun quoted one royal aide as saying.
PM Gordon Brown will attend events on June 6. (ANI)
- Prince of Wales to attend 65th D-Day anniversary - Jun 02, 2009
- Obama aiming to reverse Queen Elizabeth's Normandy ceremony snub - Jun 02, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Will-Kate wedding: European royals receive warning fax - Jan 26, 2011
- Situation vacant for chauffeur worth the Royals - Aug 15, 2012
- For the first time in 44 years, UK Queen to skip Commonwealth Games - May 30, 2010
- Sarkozy surrounds himself by 20 'short people' to 'look tall' - Sep 07, 2009
- Sarkozy promises to intensify air strikes in Libya - Apr 21, 2011
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton's pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace - Dec 17, 2010
- Royal wedding 'to serve as rehearsal for the Queen's funeral' - Apr 25, 2011
- Pippa Middleton's post royal wedding party plans scare palace aides - Apr 28, 2011
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- British monarch to visit Ireland after a century - Mar 05, 2011
- Queen not to attend Commonwealth Games in India - May 30, 2010
Tags: 65th anniversary, admission, barack obama, brits, buckingham palace, canadian soldiers, canadians, d day, free france, french officials, french president nicolas, gordon brown, insult, main event, monarch, nicolas sarkozy, normandy, one person, royal aides, us counterpart