Bruce Lee’s last home in Hong Kong to be museumJanuary 7th, 2009 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Jan 7 (DPA) Action star Bruce Lee’s last home has been given to the Hong Kong government to turn into a museum and memorial to the kung fu star, a news report said Wednesday.Philanthropist and property developer Yu Panglin has agreed to donate the property after a year of talks over the home worth an estimated $10 million, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
The home in Hong Kong’s residential Kowloon Tong district, which the actor affectionately called Crane’s Nest, is now expected to be developed into a major tourist attraction for the city, possibly including a library.
Currently, to the chagrin of Bruce Lee fans, the building is a “love hotel” where rooms are rented at hourly rates, in most cases to couples engaged in illicit affairs or men hiring prostitutes.
Lee - star of films including “Fists of Fury” and “Enter the Dragon” - lived with his wife Linda Lee-Cadwell in the house in the years before his sudden death at the age of 32.
He was at the height of his fame when he died in mysterious circumstances at the home of a young actress friend in another part of Hong Kong.
Conservative officials in the former British colony have been consistently reluctant to commemorate the city’s most famous star, apparently wary of his hell-raising, womanising reputation.
Since Yu announced last year he was considering donating the house, the Hong Kong government’s Tourism Commission has been studying overseas examples for museums such as the Beatles Story in Liverpool and Elvis Presley’s Graceland mansion in the US.
- Kung fu legend Bruce Lee's home to be a museum - Jul 07, 2008
- Plans for Hong Kong Bruce Lee museum in danger - Aug 25, 2008
- Bruce Lee to finally get recognition - and museum - back home - Mar 28, 2009
- Bruce Lee's home to be sold for China quake victims - May 22, 2008
- Bruce Lee''s old home thats now a love hotel under threat of reconstruction - Aug 28, 2008
- House that Jackie Chan wants to build - Mar 02, 2009
- 'When Love Comes' wins best film at the Golden Horse award - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Mugamoodi' - the super 'hero' who could've been superhero (Tamil Movie Review) - Sep 01, 2012
- Norah Jones inspired by Elvis - Apr 30, 2012
- China raises Bruce Lee to rival NY's Liberty - Aug 18, 2010
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- Kung Fu grandmaster jailed for kicking mistress - Nov 20, 2009
- Sudhir Mishra, Anubhav Sinha team up for action flick - Jan 13, 2012
- Woman's body found in suitcase in Hong Kong waters - Apr 05, 2012
- Bruce Lee film festival in Tokyo - Aug 26, 2010