Bruce Forsyth to receive knighthood in 2010?December 26th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 26 (ANI): Veteran television star Bruce Forsyth will receive knighthood no sooner than 2010, according to sources at Buckingham Palace.
It was expected that the 80-year-old star would be made a Sir in the New Years Honours followed by heavy campaigning by thousands of fans.
However, The Strictly Come Dancing host, who had been heavily backed, will now have to wait for the honour until next year.
In fact, heavy bets were made on the chances of Forsyth receiving the honour.
As a result, bookies faced a 1million pounds payout and even stopped taking bets earlier this month after a wave of wagers saw his odds plummet to 1/2 favourite, from 33/1 at the start of the year.
Over 5,000 fans had signed a Downing Street website petition lobbying for Bruce to be knighted for his lifelong services to showbusiness.
Starting at the age of just 14, his 66-year long career has seen him sosting Sunday Night At The London Palladium, Play Your Cards Right, Right and The Generation Game, in which he famously used to say: Nice to see you, to see you nice.
Currently, the popular presenter hosts Strictly Come Dancing with Tess Daly.
We are mystified by the fact that dozens of inferior entertainers have had knighthoods over the last 15 to 20 years, The Sun quoted petition organiser Alfreda Pearson as saying.
In fact, his wife Wilnelia, 49, also hinted that she was expecting her hubby to be honoured.
Forsyth is already an OBE and CBE.
Last month Wilnelia said: We have letters saying that Bruce should get a knighthood and thats so lovely. It would be a complete honour.
Others tipped for honours this year include a knighthood for 87-year-old actress Liz Smith, Olympic cyclist Chris Hoy, 32, and an OBE for double gold medal swimmer Rebecca Adlington, 19. (ANI)
- Bruce Forsyth fuels feud with Louis Walsh - Dec 06, 2010
- Catherine Zeta Jones appointed a CBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List - Jun 12, 2010
- Bruce Forsyth And Louis Walsh Still Breeding Bad Blood - Dec 06, 2010
- Simon Cowell, David Beckham snubbed for knighthood - Dec 25, 2010
- Status Quo rockers Rick Parfitt, Francis Rossi honoured with OBEs - Dec 31, 2009
- Tess Daly and hubby go on 'date nights' to spice up their marriage - Sep 06, 2010
- Actress Margaret Tyzack passes away - Jun 28, 2011
- Button, Stewart named in New Year's honours list - Dec 30, 2009
- AirAsia CEO awarded CBE at Buckingham Palace - Apr 01, 2011
- Strictly Come Dancing's du Beke leaves Rouass sobbing after another row - Oct 20, 2009
- Helena Bonham-Carter to receive top British honour - Jan 03, 2012
- Queen honours Michael Sheen - Jun 03, 2009
- Olympic champion cyclist Hoy awarded Knighthood - Dec 31, 2008
- TV babe Tess Daly voted UK's yummiest mummy - Mar 12, 2010
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
Tags: adlington, alfreda, bookies, bruce forsyth, buckingham palace, campaigning, downing street, downing street website, entertainers, generation game, honour, hubby, lifelong services, liz smith, london palladium, obe, old star, olympic cyclist, television star, tess daly