Brown accused of allowing taxpayers’ money go to ‘terror’ schoolsNovember 26th, 2009 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 26 (ANI): British Prime Minster Gordon Brown has been accused of allowing taxpayers’ money to go to Muslim schools linked to Islamic extremists, which advocates killing of Jews.
A storm erupted in Britain on Wednesday over claims that 113,000 pounds of taxpayers’ cash was given to schools linked to a radical Islamic group.
Tory leader David Cameron said money meant for fighting extremism could be being used to fund it.
He demanded to know why grants were given to two schools run by members of Hizb ut-Tahrir, which advocates killing of Jews and believes non-Muslims are “combatants in the battlefield”, The Sun reports.
Brown pledged to look into the claims about the schools at Tottenham, North London, and Slough, Berks. But he accused Cameron of failing to provide evidence to back up his claims.
The PM insisted the only cash given to the London school was to fund nursery care.
Both schools were set up by the Islamic Shakhsiya Foundation, which is said to be linked to Hizb ut-Tahrir.
Both were registered, passed by Ofsted inspectors and no longer had links with the group.
In a heated exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, Cameron accused Brown of failing to “get a grip” on the spread of extremism, The Sun reports. (ANI)
- Tajikistan to release BBC reporter - Jul 14, 2011
- Islamists trying to build parallel society in Canada: Report - Nov 16, 2010
- Oz Muslim leader calls troops in Afghanistan 'terrorists' - Oct 23, 2010
- Watchdog says websites pose biggest terror threat to UK - Jul 23, 2010
- Hardline Muslim group should not be allowed to defame Oz values: Opposition leader - Aug 14, 2010
- Pan-Islamists plan protests at 'American slave' Musharraf's rally in Birmingham - Sep 29, 2010
- Oz Muslims condemn moves to ban burka in country - Sep 20, 2010
- Muslim pilot fired over fears he might copy 9/11 - Jan 29, 2012
- `Brigadier arrested: Soul-searching time for Pakistan Army' - Jun 23, 2011
- Islamic supremacist group holds its first U.S. conference - Jul 18, 2009
- British Islamists plan coup in Pakistan: Report - Jul 05, 2009
- Outrage over Brit Islamist leader's call on Oz Muslims to 'shun haram democracy' - Jul 05, 2010
- UK Govt. doles out a million pounds to anti-extremist think tank - Jan 20, 2009
- Now, radical British Islamic group planning "bloodless military coup" in Pak - Jul 05, 2009
- Four serving Pakistani majors being questioned - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: battlefield, berks, british prime minster, combatants, david cameron, gordon brown, islamic extremists, islamic group, jews, london school, muslim schools, muslims, north london, ofsted inspectors, prime minister, slough, sun reports, tahrir, taxpayers, tory leader