Brooklyn Museum in USA to exhibit Lord Vishnu from JuneMarch 5th, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), March 05 (ANI): Brooklyn Museum in New York (USA) will showcase Hindu Lord Vishnu in an exhibition June 24-October two next.
It will present about 170 sculptures, paintings and ritual objects focusing on Vishnu, some as old as from fourth century. This exhibition serves as a brief survey of Hindu art styles as well as an examination of the Vaishnava (Vishnu-worshipping) tradition, a Museum announcement says.
The first section of the exhibition introduces Vishnu in his primary form, with subsections dedicated to his attributes and his legends. The second section examines his avatars, as a group and then individually. The avatars that are more frequently celebrated in art are fully represented in the exhibition, with substantial subsections dedicated to Lord Rama and Lord Krishna. The third section shows some of the ways in which Vishnu has been worshipped, with images of temples and ritual objects, announcement adds.
Applauding Brooklyn Museum for exhibiting Hinduism focused art, distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that art had a long and rich tradition in Hinduism and ancient Sanskrit literature talked about religious paintings of deities on wood or cloth.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, urged major art museums of the world, including Musee du Louvre and Musee d’Orsay of Paris, Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Los Angeles Getty Center, Uffizi Gallery of Florence (Italy), Art Institute of Chicago, Tate Modern of London, Prado Museum of Madrid, National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, etc., to frequently organize Hindu art focused exhibitions, thus sharing the rich Hindu art heritage with the rest of the world.
Brooklyn Vishnu exhibition has been organized by the Frist Center for the Visual Arts of Nashville (Tennessee, USA), and curated by Joan Cummins, Brooklyn Museum’s Curator of Asian Art. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the oldest and largest art museums in the country. Its world-renowned permanent collections range from ancient Egyptian masterpieces to contemporary art, and represent a wide range of cultures. Norman M. Feinberg is Chair Board of Trustees, while Arnold L. Lehman is the Museum Director.
Vishnu is “preserver” in the Hindu triad with Brahma and Shiva as the aspect of the Supreme. He had ten incarnations to establish dharma (divine law). Hinduism is the oldest and third largest religion of the world with about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal.(ANI)
- World's 1st major exhibition on Hindu Lord Vishnu premiered at Nashville in USA - Feb 21, 2011
- Hindus laud Nashville's Frist Center for organizing travelling exhibition on Vishnu - Aug 20, 2010
- World's 1st major exhibition on Lord Vishnu set to open in Nashville - Dec 24, 2010
- Tennessee art museum develops travelling exhibition on Lord Vishnu - Dec 28, 2009
- Famous Los Angeles Getty Museum exhibiting Ganesha and Vishnu - Mar 01, 2011
- Hindus laud Peabody Essex Museum for organizing Hindu gods exhibition - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
- Art Institute of Chicago has created "Be a Vishnu Avatar" lesson plan for students - Feb 17, 2011
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- Major American museums carry Hindu Lord Shiva statues - Feb 20, 2011
- American museums offering online Hinduism resources - Nov 13, 2010
- California's Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculptures - Apr 23, 2011
- Canadian art gallery displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne - Nov 22, 2010
- Art Institute of Chicago has developed "Classroom Lesson Plan" on Hindu deity Ganesha - Sep 24, 2010
- Philadelphia Museum of Art displaying Radha-Krishna in its miniatures exhibition - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: art institute of chicago, brooklyn museum, frist center for the visual arts, getty center, hindu art, hindu statesman, lord krishna, lord rama, lord vishnu, metropolitan museum of art, musee d orsay, musee du louvre, nashville tennessee usa, national gallery of art, prado museum, rajan zed, religious paintings, sanskrit literature, sculptures paintings, uffizi gallery