Brits send 1billon text messages every week!November 14th, 2007 - 8:28 am ICT by admin
The figure reveals a 25 percent increase this year and is set to smash forecasts for how many text messages have been sent to and from handsets this year.
According to figures, some 4.825bn texts were sent in September 2007, equivalent to 4,000 every second.
“It has exceeded our forecasts quite significantly,” BBC quoted Mike Short, head of the MDA, as saying.
He predicted that the total for 2007 will reach somewhere around 52 billion, an estimate far beyond the 42-48 billion the MDA previously predicted would be sent this year.
Short cited a number of reasons for the continuing growth.
“It’s convenient, comprehensive, it’s on every handset and network and it is cost effective,” he said.
He added that the successful assurance of delivery was perfect for many messages that may not merit an entire conversation or that people did not want to trust to voicemail.
Many people were also happy to get news and updates about topics or teams they follow via text messaging, he said.
But, one of the principal factors, he said, was the increasing use of text messaging by companies.
“It’s a lot more convenient for a business now to notify lots of their employees about an urgent message using a text message,” Short said.
Simultaneously many other companies were using text messages to manage relationships with customers when deliveries, appointments or house calls were due, he further said.
“The UK text volumes show no real signs of abating and the UK sits within the top six of the global league of countries sending text messages,” he said.
“While the trend towards operators offering ‘all-you-can-eat’ tariffs increases, this will act as a catalyst for consumers’ passion for all things mobile,” he added. (ANI)
- Kim Kardashian's ex wants her back - Aug 11, 2011
- Teenagers obsessed with mobile phones: Survey - Dec 05, 2010
- Mobile users in UK turn to free instant messaging for communication - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Taking kids to see Satan' and 'heading out for a riot': Predictive texting - Jan 08, 2011
- Brits to ring in the New Year by sending half a billion racy messages - Dec 28, 2010
- A billion SMSes sent in a single day in Beijing - Feb 08, 2011
- One in 10 end relationship with text message - Jan 18, 2012
- Brett Favre declines to comment on nude pictures & video posted at Deadspin - Oct 08, 2010
- Nokia launches two low-priced handsets - Sep 15, 2011
- 'Blackberry thumb' is the latest health hazard - Mar 25, 2011
- Chinese mobile users sent 10 bn SMS in one day - Jan 24, 2012
- Wife in trouble after sending hubby SMS meant for lover! - Aug 04, 2011
- Oz men less tolerant than women when it comes to abbreviated texting - Jan 25, 2011
- One in 100 falls for SMS scams - Nov 09, 2010
- Handwriting dying a slow death - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: all you can eat, bbc, british population, brits, catalyst, data association, forecasts, handsets, house calls, mda, mobile data, one billion, principal factors, sending text messages, tariffs, text message, text messaging, urgent message, voicemail, year according