Brits love to ’spice things up’ with Indian chutneySeptember 27th, 2010 - 5:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 27 (ANI): Britons are increasingly taking to spicier food day after day, ditching mayonnaise for Indian mango chutney and wasabi, a survey revealed.
Demand for harisa, a hot paste from Tunisia, and Indian mango chutney has grown by 70 per cent, while condiments traditionally associated with English food, such as brown sauce, mint sauce and vinegar are taking a back seat.
Retail experts have predicted that their taste for the exotic will see the total spend rise even further this year.
“As a nation, we are addicted to condiments. Although British food has become a lot more diverse and flavoursome in recent years, our love of adding a dollop of sauce to our dinner means this is a huge growth area for supermarkets,” The Daily Express quoted Ged Futter, of Asda, as saying.
“With our developing taste buds and desire for all things spicy, it’s no surprise that our shoppers are dumping the salad cream and brown sauce for more exotic condiments to get the taste buds, and home-cooked meals, tingling,” added Futter. (ANI)
- Brits rate Bacon sandwiches as their favorite tasty pleasure - Mar 15, 2011
- Three Lions order spicy sauces to dull injury-related pain - May 12, 2010
- Veggie chicken tikka potato chips! New flavours beckon - Jun 21, 2012
- Mumbai, a city that never stops eating! - May 21, 2012
- From a Punjab kitchen, these sweets, snacks have travelled far - Jan 28, 2011
- Brits 'craving for food 400 times hotter than what used to be in the 1960s' - Aug 04, 2010
- Aloo chaat, wada pao knock beef cutlets off menu (Eating Out With IANS) - Aug 23, 2011
- 'Two glasses of wine a day will bring down cholesterol level' - Jun 03, 2012
- England World Cup squad put on `Dr Death's' super carb diet - Jun 05, 2010
- Feast on best of Delhi's street food - under one roof - May 24, 2010
- Britain's love affair with Indian curry hits 200-year landmark - Jun 25, 2010
- Knives are out: Cut and taste co-related - Mar 22, 2012
- China chaat, pomfret roast rock Chittaranjan Park's food platter - Oct 04, 2011
- Nature my kitchen, fusion my passion: Chef Malhotra (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Spice up broccoli to fight cancer better - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,