Brits fed up with Prince Williams, Kate Middleton’s weddingApril 1st, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 1 (ANI): The people of Britain are so fed up with Prince Williams and Kate Middleton’s wedding that they have made plans to flee the country.
It has emerged that some towns are even holding “escape the wedding” celebrations, and travel companies have reported a massive surge in bookings for April 29 when William, 28, and Kate, 29, tie the knot.
Sean Tipton, from the Association of British Travel Agents, said more people than usual were booking holidays.
And a Welsh nationalist group is holding an “Escape The Wedding Camp” in the countryside.
“I think people are responding with a giant shrug,” the Daily Star quoted anti-monarchy group Republic’s spokesman Graham Smith as saying.
Wedding-weary people in Bristol can visit an alternative wedding party with a fake church service that allows guests to “marry” one another.
“The royal wedding is not necessarily a massive thing on people’s radar,” Emma Harvey, from the city’s Trinity Community Arts Centre, said.
Ellie Phillips, who helps run the Jealous Gallery in London’s Crouch End, said it had sold dozens of Kate and Wills sick bags.
“We’re not anti the event itself. It’s a nice happy thing that brings lots of people together,” she said.
“It’s just the way it’s been so rapidly commercialised and turned into an opportunity to turn out so many poorly made, cheap, tacky things,” she added. (ANI)
- Cops fear anti-monarchy anarchists may infiltrate royal wedding - Mar 28, 2011
- Pippa Middleton goes to Queen's Club Championship to watch Murray-Tipsarevic match - Jun 10, 2011
- Kate Middleton's Family: Five things you didn't know - Apr 08, 2011
- Katie Couric worried over daughter's crush on 'bad boy' Prince Harry - Apr 30, 2011
- Mirren hopes William, Kate have private wedding also - Apr 25, 2011
- David Hasselhoff hates being alone - Mar 12, 2012
- William, Kate celebrate first wedding anniversary - Apr 29, 2012
- British groups plan naked protests during royal wedding - Apr 11, 2011
- Fans camp at Westminster Abbey for Royal Wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- Ellie Goulding to sing at royal wedding reception - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate, Will to have 3-D Royal Wedding? - Nov 27, 2010
- Rise in number of couples using the Internet to give details of marriage - Mar 21, 2011
- Kate Middleton to ride in Diana's carriage - Mar 22, 2011
- Dame Helen Mirren wants Wills-Kat to perform second 'private' wedding - Apr 25, 2011
- The bet's on - Kate to wear Queen's diamond tiara - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: british travel agents, daily star, ellie, graham smith, kate and wills, kate middleton, massive surge, monarchy, nationalist group, prince williams and kate middleton, royal wedding, shrug, sick bags, tie the knot, tipton, travel companies, trinity community, wedding celebrations, wedding party, welsh nationalist