Brits’ favourite fish and chips set to take Russia by stormJanuary 24th, 2010 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): After Ronald McDonald and pizzas, another fast-food fad is gearing up to take Russia by storm - fish and chips.
The nation’s Government is encouraging people to eat more seafood, and in order to save the struggling fishing industry, it is also backing a planned chain of chip shops called Okean, reports The Times.
Alexander Ivanov, who owns a fish-processing factory in Murmansk, on Russia’s northern coast, will open 300 street kiosks in St Petersburg and up to 500 in Moscow before expanding into Siberia.
And in order to compete with McDonald’s and other fast-food rivals, cod and chips would sell for about 2.50 pounds.
“Fish, as a fast food, doesn’t exist in Russia so we are opening a completely new market. I really like English fish and chips and I’m sure it will be really attractive for Russians,” he told The Times.
He added: “We set up a fish-and-chip kiosk at a trade exhibition in Moscow and the lines of customers were as long as those we used to see outside Lenin’s tomb during Soviet times.
“It’s important that people can be patriotic and buy high-quality healthy Russian fish.”
Last year, the Federal Fisheries Agency had used a campaign to urge Russians to buy more fish. (ANI)
- McDonald's fined in Brazil for including toys in kids' meals - Dec 07, 2011
- McDonald's introducing own degree for managers in UK - Nov 25, 2010
- 'Junk food firm, slimming group' tie-ups 'cashing in on obesity epidemic' - Jan 16, 2011
- McDonald's recalls 'Shrek' glasses - Jun 04, 2010
- Unhealthiest of fast foods revealed - Aug 10, 2010
- McDonald's net income goes down - Jul 24, 2012
- Weight Watchers brand McDonald's Chicken McNuggets 'healthy' - Mar 04, 2010
- McDonald's to pay Brazilian ex-employee $17,500 for weight he gained on the job - Oct 29, 2010
- McDonald's franchisee to invest Rs.500 crore - Feb 21, 2011
- McDonald's to give free fruit with every Happy Meal - Jul 27, 2011
- McDonald' To Refund $3 On Return Of Shrek Glasses - Jun 09, 2010
- Now, a McDonald's burger named after Shane Warne! - Nov 10, 2010
- Prawn on toast, cheese burgers light up iftar in Pakistan - Aug 05, 2012
- Fast food culture making people impatient - Apr 19, 2010
- US woman sues McDonald's claiming employee spat in her face - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: alexander ivanov, chip shops, federal fisheries, fish and chips, fish processing, fisheries agency, fishing industry, food fad, food rivals, jan 24, kiosks, lenin, london jan, murmansk, okean, pizzas, ronald mcdonald, russian fish, soviet times, trade exhibition