Brits call Grand Canyon greatest of worlds seven natural wondersFebruary 9th, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 9 (ANI): The awe-inspiring Grand Canyon has been voted as the greatest of the seven natural wonders of the world in a new poll of British public.
In the poll involving 4,000 Britons, the canyon carved by the Colorado river over six million years beat off competition from waterfalls, mountains and rainforests to take the top spot.
The Great Barrier Reef in eastern Australia came in second.
The splendid Northern Lights were pushed to third place in the poll, which was conducted to mark the launch of a natural history TV channel, Eden.
The list of seven natural wonders also included Lake District, followed by the Highlands, Cheddar Gorge in Somerset and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.
The world has some stunning natural wonders and we are delighted that on Eden we can honour the best that all seven continents have to offer, the Daily Express quoted Adrian Wills, the head of the new TV channel as saying. (ANI)
- Awe is good for mental health: Study - Jul 23, 2012
- Israel to spend $2.5 mn to back Dead Sea in global contest - May 09, 2011
- One in five Brit kids have never climbed a tree, visited a farm - Aug 16, 2010
- Elusive wildcat species believed extinct, spotted - Jan 17, 2011
- One of the largest stone arches discovered in Afghanistan - Mar 31, 2011
- Sunderbans out of wonders race - a lost opportunity? - Nov 23, 2011
- Newly discovered natural arch in Afghanistan is one of world's largest - Mar 31, 2011
- Many Britons think that Mount Everest is in UK - Mar 16, 2012
- Canyon carved within a week to help understand ancient megafloods on Earth, Mars - Jun 21, 2010
- Early Britons may have been cannibals who feasted on each other - Aug 07, 2009
- India look for series win and Tendulkar's 100th ton at Eden (Preview) - Nov 13, 2011
- UAE asks people to vote for seven wonders contest - Aug 25, 2011
- Little Bengal in a Mumbai school (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- Baby giraffe born at Cincinnati zoo - Apr 05, 2011
- Many Britons think Mount Everest is in Britain! - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: britons, cheddar gorge, colorado river, daily express, eastern australia, giants causeway, great barrier reef, lake district, launch, london feb, natural wonders of the world, new poll, new tv, northern ireland, northern lights, rainforests, seven continents, seven natural wonders, six million years, wonders of the world