Britons top the European haggling leagueFebruary 6th, 2009 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 6 (ANI): Britons, who are generally considered to be thrifty people, have topped the list of haggling league with about three-quarters in the country found to broker a bargain over holidays.
New research shows that Brits are leagues above Germany, France and Spain, where only 60 per cent people try to save a few quid.
According to the study, Brits save on average 32.20 pounds each by asking for discounts on goods. They demand special prices on flights and hotels, with seven per cent also asking for deals in restaurants.
Only the Swedes were found to be close to the Brits, with 73 per cent admitting to negotiating hard on their latest holiday.
The research by hotel booking website Hotels.com also showed that the Irish were at the bottom of the European haggling league, with just 56 per cent prepared to demand a bargain.
Haggling is fast becoming a buzz-word for 2009. While Brits have long been used to bartering for souvenirs, we are now seeing more people successfully wrangling over prices that previously would have seemed immovable, the Daily Star quoted Alison Couper, Director of Communications at Hotels.com, as saying.
Those who are willing to practise the art of haggling are likely to find that their money will go even further, Couper added. (ANI)
- Italian food is now world's favourite - Jan 18, 2011
- Office workers' daydreaming peaks Tuesday - Sep 07, 2010
- Workers daydream about their next holiday on Tuesdays - Sep 07, 2010
- Brits always ready to haggle for best holiday deals - Jul 05, 2010
- London taxis world's best but costliest, says poll - May 28, 2009
- Indians spend more on hotel stay than Europeans - Apr 13, 2011
- Britons claim having visited non-existing ancient wonders - Feb 05, 2012
- Two in three Britons cannot speak any foreign word - Nov 19, 2011
- Anushka, John have best bikini body in India: Poll - Jul 27, 2012
- 1 in 3 Australians struggling with post-holiday blues - Jan 27, 2011
- Britons did free work worth 11 bn pounds in 2010 - Jan 08, 2011
- New way of keeping up with the Joneses: If you are poor, flaunt it! - Nov 19, 2010
- Perth girls are the cheapest dates for Scottish blokes - Jul 16, 2010
- Bed warmers, pigeon chasers are some of world's strangest hotel jobs - Jan 28, 2011
- Brits 'likelier to eat fried tarantulas, sheeps' eyes' than other Europeans - Oct 11, 2010