Briton jailed for hitting pet dogAugust 5th, 2010 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS) A dog owner in Britain has been jailed for publicly attacking his pet, termed by a court as an appalling public display of violence, horrific and most shameful behaviour.
Simeon Major, 19, poked his bull terrier with an umbrella and kicked her four to five times as he showed off to friends in Luton, Bedfordshire, 46 km from London.
He dragged the seven-month-old female dog up on to a wall and punched her, sending her falling to the ground, Sky News reported.
The evidence was a four-minute CCTV footage that was played to magistrates.
“He was goading the animal with an umbrella. There were four or five kicks to the dog. The dog showed no aggression to the defendant whatsoever,” prosecutor Mark Jones told the court in Luton.
When questioned by the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), Major said: “I just don’t know what was going through my brain… it was just a mistake.” He pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.
Kajal Doshi, defending Major, told the court the defendant could not understand why he carried out the attack. “He was showing off before other people,” she said.
Judge Carolyn Mellanby sentenced him to 16 weeks in a young offenders’ institution and disqualified him from keeping any animal for 10 years.
“This was a most appalling public display of violence. It was quite horrific. You punched and kicked a defenceless animal over a significant period of time in front of other people. It was most shameful behaviour,” she said.
- Britons held for cramming 69 animals in one house - Mar 31, 2012
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- 'Pessimistic' dogs tend to behave badly - Oct 12, 2010
- 13 dogs poisoned to death in Britain - May 30, 2011
- The politics of dogs - from Chandigarh to the northeast (Punjab Newsletter) - Jul 07, 2012
- Dogs can also be pessimists and 'see the glass half empty' - Oct 12, 2010
- Sometimes, even dogs 'see the glass half empty' - Oct 12, 2010
- Rapists of 'willing' girl survive tough punishment - Feb 21, 2012
- Juror jailed for online research about accused - Jan 24, 2012
- Jason Allen Tattersall Once Again Sentenced To Prison After Torturing Youth With "DOG" Tattoo - Dec 12, 2010
- UK couple jailed for beating daughter for dating black man - Aug 06, 2012
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Israel shoos away dogs with high-pitched noise - Apr 30, 2011
- Sweden suicide bomber named his son Osama - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: 10 years, aggression, briton, bull terrier, cruelty to animals, defendant, dog owner, kajal, magistrates, mistake, offenders institution, period of time, prevention of cruelty to animals, prosecutor, simeon, sky news, society for prevention of cruelty to animals, umbrella, violence, young offenders