Briton jailed for blog on imaginary rapeSeptember 5th, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 5 (IANS) A 40-year-old Briton has been jailed for writing a blog on the imaginary rape and murder of an author who he has been harassing for two years.
Greg Downing wrote in an online novel about an imagined attack on Katharine Quarmby, an author of children’s books and a journalist, the London Evening Standard newspaper reported.
Downing bombarded Quarmby with phone calls and email after they met through a dating website in 2008, a crown court was told.
Quarmby called off their relationship after four weeks, and later reported Downing to the police for stalking her on three occasions.
Downing also found the blog after typing her name in Google.
The 29-page article, titled “A Novel: Katharine Quarmby”, is about a man stalking the writer, burgling her home, raping and finally murdering her.
Judge Deva Pillay sentenced Downing to six months in jail for putting a person in fear of violence.
“This can only be described as a campaign of harassment. It is clear that your harassment of Quarmby has been deliberate and premeditated so as to cause her and her family the maximum discomfort, embarrassment and fear,” Pillay said.
- Brit hospital worker becomes first man to be jailed for stalking by blog - Mar 10, 2011
- Woman stalks hospital chief over hubby's death, jailed - Sep 06, 2012
- Man in 'love' jailed for stalking woman over blog - Mar 10, 2011
- Mom jailed for 30 years for killing two kids - Jul 05, 2012
- British rapist jailed after 21 years - Mar 18, 2012
- UK man jailed for raping virgin on town centre pavement in full view of motorists - Mar 17, 2011
- Stalkers may soon have tough time in Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- At least 78 killed in western Myanmar clashes - UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Uma Thurman's stalker sent to jail for more creepy calls - Dec 18, 2010
- `Millions of Americans are victims of attacks by partners' - Dec 15, 2011
- Ashanti's 'stalker' gets two-year jail term - Feb 19, 2010
- Facebook raises row over revealing user's location - Aug 20, 2010
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer, act premediated: Police (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Facebook encourages women to stalk ex-boyfriends - Mar 12, 2011
- Ivanka Trump's 'schizophrenic stalker extradited to New York' - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: briton, crown court, dating website, deva, email, embarrassment, google, harassment, journalist, london evening standard, london evening standard newspaper, novel, occasions, page article, phone calls, pillay, rape, s books, six months, violence