Briton arrested at Amsterdam airport on suspicion of involvement in terrorismSeptember 20th, 2010 - 2:02 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 29 (ANI): A British man, who is of Somali decent, has been arrested at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport on suspicion of involvement in terrorism.
According to The Telegraph, the man was travelling from John Lennon Airport in Liverpool, via Schiphol, to Entebbe in Uganda. He was seized on an aircraft that was ready to depart.
Dutch prosecutors said they were investigating the arrested man for links to a terrorist organisation but had not found any explosives.
“A British man of Somali origin has been arrested at Schiphol. At this moment, an inquiry is trying to determine whether or not the man belongs to a foreign terrorist organisation,” a spokesman said.
Last week, the head of MI5, Jonathan Evans, warned that the UK faced a serious risk of an attack, and singled out Somalia and Yemen as threats.
“There is a significant number of UK residents training in al-Shabaab camps to fight in the insurgency there. Somalia showed many of the characteristics that made Afghanistan so dangerous as a seedbed for terrorism in the period before the fall of the Taliban,” Evans had said earlier.
Two Yemenis arrested in Amsterdam after a flight from Chicago on suspicion of planning a terror attack were released earlier this month.
Around 100 Britons from a variety of ethnic backgrounds have reportedly been sent to Somalia in recent years, some of whom have died fighting for al-Shabaab. (ANI)
- Dutch police arrest British terror suspect at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - Sep 20, 2010
- Dutch police arrest British terror suspect at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - Sep 19, 2010
- European security experts fear al-Qaeda wings expanded to Uganda - Sep 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda suspect breaches Olympic area ban five times - Jul 08, 2012
- British Muslims on jehad trip to Somalia: WikiLeaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia - Jul 15, 2012
- Kenyan police nab over 130 immigrants - Jul 10, 2012
- Two American men plead guilty to terrorism conspiracy charge - Mar 04, 2011
- British Muslims travelling to Somalia for "jihadi tourism": Wikileaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Dutch police arrest twelve Somali terror suspects - Dec 26, 2010
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Islamist rebels receiving weapons from Yemen: Somali minister - Jan 04, 2010
- Four men admit to Uganda bombings - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: amsterdam airport, british man, briton, britons, ethnic backgrounds, explosives, insurgency, john lennon, john lennon airport, jonathan evans, mi5, prosecutors, schiphol airport, seedbed, somalia, suspicion, taliban, terror attack, terrorist organisation, uk residents