British women get pregnant to escape jail termSeptember 21st, 2012 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 21 (IANS) A judge in Britain has criticised two women who became pregnant to dodge imprisonment after laundering money from a customer’s bank account.
The judge still gave them suspended sentences, saying he was obliged to take account of the effects of separating mothers from their babies. The pair also got away with paying only one pound (about $1.5) each in compensation since they could not afford beyond it, Daily Express reported.
Oladayo Olodude, 23, and Oluwashun Taylor, 31, laundered 12,100 pounds (about $19,000) which had been stolen from a bank customer’s account in October 2009 by a man who could not be traced. Though the victim has been reimbursed, the bank is out of pocket as the money was never recovered.
Taylor became pregnant after being charged and was eight weeks from giving birth when both women were found guilty at the Old Bailey last March.
Judge Anthony Morris had adjourned sentencing until Thursday (Sep 20) so that Taylor could give birth, only to discover Olodude is now expecting.
He, however, handed both women suspended sentences, telling the pair: “Despite the fact I have a strong suspicion you both sought to manipulate the system, I have to take account of the fact you both have small children.”
Olodude was convicted of possessing criminal property and Taylor convicted of transferring criminal property. Each of them was given six-month prison terms, suspended for a year, and ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work.
- Former Liberian president jailed for 50 years - May 30, 2012
- Brit couple caught having sex in graveyard in full view of pupils - Feb 12, 2011
- Brit judge praises madams for running 'model' brothel! - May 14, 2010
- Judge says jail is 'too easy' for crook - Oct 02, 2011
- Atheist given Asbo for mocking Jesus - Apr 24, 2010
- Four bank employees jailed for Rs.1.7 crore fraud - Dec 26, 2011
- Former Indonesian tax officer sentenced to 10 years in prison for money laundering - Feb 03, 2011
- Factfile on jailed Pakistani cricketers, bookie - Nov 03, 2011
- Russian jailed in US for bank fraud - Mar 25, 2012
- Amanda Knox to sign 2.5 mn pounds book deal - Feb 18, 2012