British woman becomes first warship commanderMay 22nd, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 22 (IANS) A 40-year-old woman officer of the Royal Navy broke 500 years of tradition Tuesday by becoming the first woman commander of a warship.
Commander Sarah West took command of the Type 23 frigate HMS Portland at Rosyth in Scotland, the Daily Express reported.
The frigate was originally designed for anti-submarine warfare but can also engage enemy aircraft and warships.
Another 43-year-old woman, Commander Sue Moore became the first woman to command a squadron of minor war vessels, the First Patrol Boat Squadron, in Portsmouth.
Among her duties will be providing two vessels for the Honour Guard during Queen Elizabeth’s diamond jubilee.
Women were allowed to serve at sea in the Royal Navy only in 1990.
Three other women officers are also expected to be given command of minor war vessels by the end of the year.
West, from Middlesex, has served in the Gulf, was a coordinator during the Iraq war and planned the evacuation of 4,600 civilians from Lebanon in 2006.
She has a mathematics degree from the University of Hertfordshire and also a law degree.
Moore, from Bath, is a graduate of the Carnegie College in Leeds. She has served in the Balkans and the Gulf and on counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean.
She navigated the HMS Chatham, the last ship to leave Hong Kong following the handover to China in 1997.
- Woman to run warship for first time in Britain - Aug 08, 2011
- Britain draws up battle plan against Iran - Feb 26, 2012
- HMS Invincible may become a Chinese disco - Jan 08, 2011
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- President Patil addresses sailors on board INS Viraat (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- Britain to deploy warship in South Atlantic - Feb 01, 2012
- President Patil's first 'day at sea' on board INS Viraat - Dec 23, 2009
- Three World War 1 sunk UK warships discovered off Estonia coast - Aug 24, 2010
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- President to review Indian Navy fleet December 20 - Jun 07, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- President Patil reviews naval fleet - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: british woman, daily express, diamond jubilee, enemy aircraft, first woman, honour guard, last ship, mathematics degree, patrol boat, queen elizabeth, rosyth, royal navy, sarah west, submarine warfare, type 23 frigate, university of hertfordshire, war vessels, warships, woman commander, woman officer