‘British undercover police can have sex with suspects’June 13th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 13 (IANS) British undercover police officers can start sexual relationships with suspected criminals if it means they are more plausible, a minister said Wednesday.
Home Office Minister Nick Herbert said that under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA), officers were permitted to have sex as part of their job.
There had been confusion about whether undercover police were allowed to go that far following the collapse of a case against environmental activists in Nottinghamshire.
It emerged that the group was infiltrated by an officer called Mark Kennedy, who had been in sexual relationships with two women in the campaign, The Telegraph reported.
Kennedy spent seven years posing as long-haired dropout climber Mark “Flash” Stone to infiltrate activists and admitted having sex with women during the operation.
Speaking in a debate in Westminster Hall, Herbert said it was important police were allowed to have sex with activists because otherwise it could be used as a way of outing potential undercover officers.
“But this would depend on the circumstances of each individual case and consideration should always be given to seeking legal advice.”
- UK undercover agents used sex as tool to gather info during operations - Jan 24, 2011
- Eight cops arrested in Mexico for sexual assaults - Apr 12, 2012
- Report detailing sexual assault claims against Assange leaked online - Feb 05, 2011
- Chinese squirts glue on women's hair - Jul 23, 2012
- Cops go undercover to help women in Shanghai metro - May 19, 2012
- Woman opens sex toy drive-thru in Alabama after finding loophole in law - Dec 31, 2010
- One in three British teenage girls 'sexually assaulted' - Mar 05, 2012
- 12,000 foreign 'sex slaves' working in British brothels: Report - Aug 19, 2010
- Brit cop howls like baby as he's jailed for having sex while on duty - Mar 16, 2011
- Four Oz boys aged 11 to 14 charged with sexual assault - Mar 24, 2011
- Online consultant groomed teenagers for sex - Jul 10, 2010
- 12,000 foreign 'sex slaves' work in British brothels - Aug 19, 2010
- Teenager jailed for not giving computer password - Oct 07, 2010
- In Britain, hostility within family could mean crime - Dec 12, 2011
- Polo player in UK jailed for having sex with 15-yr-old - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: collapse, criminals, environmental activists, having sex, home office minister, investigatory powers act, legal advice, mark kennedy, nick herbert, nottinghamshire, regulation of investigatory powers, regulation of investigatory powers act, regulation of investigatory powers act 2000, seven years, sex with women, sexual relationships, two women, undercover officers, undercover police officers, westminster hall