British teens jailed for killing Indian sailor in race attackMarch 21st, 2009 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 21 (IANS) A British court has sentenced three teenagers to six-and-a-half years each in custody for killing an Indian sailor in a racist attack. Two other boys were sentenced to detention for 12 months and 18 months.
Gregory Fernandes, 32, of Goa, had been out in Fawley in the coastal port city of Southampton, in October 2007 when he was attacked by a group of youths.
The three boys, who are now aged between 16 and 18, had admitted manslaughter and inflicting grievous bodily harm on another sailor, Fernandes’ shipmate Vinod Pitchilnaviram.
The three will serve their sentences at a young offenders’ institution, Justice Royce told Winchester Crown Court Friday.
Two other boys, both 15 years old now, were given 12 months’ and 18 months’ detention respectively for the assault on Pitchilnaviram.
The two Indian sailors were walking toward the cargo ship The Garonne, berthed at Fawley oil refinery, when they were attacked by a group of about 20 teenagers.
A passerby took Fernandes to the docks, where he collapsed and died, while Pitchilnaviram suffered a broken shoulder.
Floriano Fernandes, the sailor’s father, told the BBC: “Even I’ve been in England but it wasn’t like this before.
“I felt very safe, but now it seems to be a very unsafe place, especially for Indians. How can somebody kill in such a manner?”
Pitchilnaviram, whose wages support his parents and four sisters in Kerala, India, told the BBC the incident left him “disturbed”.
- Teenage British gang confesses to killing Indian sailor - Feb 24, 2009
- Indian woman kills mother-in-law in Britain, jailed - Jul 19, 2012
- Indian-origin man burned to death in London - Feb 26, 2012
- Man jailed for punching pregnant ex-girl friend to abort - Sep 07, 2012
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- Australian teen gets 13-year jail for killing Indian student - Dec 22, 2011
- Two men get life sentences for murder of Brit-Indian shopkeeper Gurmail Singh - Nov 17, 2010
- Oz teen pleads guilty to Indian student Nitin Garg's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Brit woman found guilty of abusing 5-month-old baby while beau took pics - Oct 19, 2010
- Oz teen jailed for shouting 'I am a penis' has jail sentence reduced - Mar 31, 2011
- US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy's death - Nov 22, 2011
- British schoolboys jailed for robbing Indian-origin man - Nov 12, 2011
- Goalposts moved in Dr Death's manslaughter trial - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel on suicide watch - Jul 01, 2010
- Patel's lawyers plead for mercy ahead of sentencing - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: british teens, broken shoulder, cargo ship, city of southampton, coastal port city, crown court, fawley, floriano, four sisters, grievous bodily harm, kerala india, london march, offenders institution, oil refinery, passerby, racist attack, sentenced three, shipmate, vinod, young offenders