British teen held over Indian student’s killingDecember 27th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 27 (IANS) A British teenager has been arrested over the fatal shooting of 23-year-old Indian student Anuj Bidve in Manchester Monday, a media report said Tuesday.
Bidve was part of a group of nine men and women — all Indian students — visiting the city for a short break for Christmas, Sky News reported.
No details were immediately available about the arrest in connection with the fatal shooting.
Hailing from Pune in India’s Maharashtra state, Bidve was shot in the head while walking from his hotel in Salford area towards the Manchester city centre around 1.30 a.m. He died at a hospital a short while later.
He was a postgraduate student in micro-electronics at Lancaster University.
The Sun said two men walked up to Bidve and his friends outside an eatery.
After a short exchange of words, one man pulled out a pistol and shot the Indian student in the side of the head at point-blank range. The two fled, leaving Bidve dying in the street in a pool of blood.
Manchester police chief superintendent Kevin Mulligan said it was an “awful, unprovoked attack on a young student”.
Witnesses said the attack was not a robbery or racially motivated.
The gunman was recognised as a white man in his mid 20s, of slim build and wearing a grey top. The other man had a heavier build and wore a black jacket.
Bidve’s friends were being looked after in a “safe place” by police.
A university spokeswoman told Sky News that counselling and support is being organised for Bidve’s friends who were described as “deeply upset”.
Bidve’s father Subhash has appealed for help on Facebook: “Pl help in getting Anuj’s dead body back to India.”
Among tributes that kept flowing on the social network, one said: “Can’t believe that someone so full of life had his life ruthlessly taken away from him for no mistake of his own … rest in peace.”
- One held as Indian's killing sparks outrage on Facebook (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- One held as Indian's killing sparks outrage on Facebook (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Racism not ruled out in Indian student's killing - Dec 30, 2011
- Four held over Indian student's killing - Dec 28, 2011
- Anuj Bidve's killer jailed for life - Jul 27, 2012
- Facebook flooded with condemnation for Indian's killing - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Psycho' guilty of murdering Indian student Bidve - Jul 27, 2012
- British police to visit family of slain Indian student - Jan 01, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's killer remanded in custody - Jan 02, 2012
- British cops meet slain Indian student's kin - Jan 02, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's body brought back to India - Jan 07, 2012
- British cops meet slain Indian student's kin (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Pune bids tearful adieu to Anuj Bidve (Lead, changing dateline) - Jan 07, 2012
- British cops meet slain Indian student's kin again - Jan 03, 2012
- Anuj's parents plead for justice, to return with body Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: british teenager, chief superintendent, indian students, kevin mulligan, lancaster university, maharashtra state, manchester city centre, manchester police, micro electronics, mid 20s, point blank range, pool of blood, postgraduate student, rest in peace, safe place, short break, sky news, subhash, unprovoked attack, white man