British Sikh police want bulletproof turbansMay 8th, 2009 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 8 (IANS) Sikh police officers in Britain want special bulletproof turbans to be developed so they can serve in firearm units, a media report said.
The Sikh religion requires its male followers to wear the turban, but existing police safety helmets do not fit on top of them, the Guardian reported Thursday.
The Home Office needed to make provisions for Sikhs and recognise that they had a role to play, the report said citing Inspector Gian Singh Chahal, vice chairperson of the newly formed British Police Sikh Association.
“Sikh officers have been prohibited from becoming firearms officers because our religion does not allow us to remove the turban,” Chahal said.
“There has been some research done into producing a ballistic material (for turbans). We would like to follow any opportunity where we could manufacture a ballistic product, made out of a synthetic fibre, that would ensure a certain degree of protection, so Sikh police officers could take part in these roles,” he added.
The association was launched last month to represent an estimated 2,000 Sikhs who serve in the police. Sikhs do not have to wear crash helmets under the Motorcycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976, the report said.
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012
- Sikhs in turbans can now serve Washington police - May 17, 2012
- First US Sikh soldier completes training with faith intact - Nov 11, 2010
- Sikh Bobby felt like a TV character when told to wear a ` crash turban helmet' - Sep 17, 2009
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Motorcycle helmets 'cut risk of spine injuries after collisions' - Feb 10, 2011
- Sikhs in Singapore: Turbanators with rich tradition of donning uniform - Mar 07, 2011
- France violated Sikh's right to wearing turban: UN - Jan 13, 2012
- SGPC hails inclusion of first Sikh in U.S. Army in three decades - Nov 13, 2010
- Helmets must for bikers, pillion riders: Transport minister (Goa Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Let Sikhs wear turban, beard: New York official - Aug 13, 2012
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- Notice to Delhi government on plea to make helmet compulsory - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: ballistic material, british police, chahal, crash helmets, firearms, gian singh, male followers, motorcycle crash, police officers, police safety, recognise, religious exemption, safety helmets, sikh officers, sikh religion, sikhs, synthetic fibre, turban, turbans, vice chairperson