British shipwreck holds 2.6 billion pound treasure, explorers claimJanuary 25th, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.25 (ANI): Salvagers have claimed to have found a British ship sunk by a Nazi submarine containing 2.6 billion pounds cargo that included gold, platinum and diamonds. According to The Telegraph, work is due to start on recovering the cargo, which was being transported to the United States to help pay for the Allied effort in the Second World War.
The scale of the treasure trove is likely to unleash a series of competing claims from interested parties.
Salvage laws are notoriously complex and experts say there could be many years of legal wrangling ahead.
In order to protect its find until the cargo is brought to the surface, the company that located the wreck has not released the name of the vessel or its exact location, but has given the ship the code name “Blue Baron”.
It says the merchant ship, which had a predominantly British crew, had left a European port, laden with goods for the US Treasury under the Lend-Lease scheme, whereby the American government gave material support to the Allied war effort in exchange for payments.
The Blue Baron first sailed to a port in South America, where it unloaded some general cargo, before continuing north in a convoy, heading for New York.
However, the company claims it was intercepted by German U-boat U87 and sent to the bottom by two torpedoes in June 1942, with the loss of three crew members. Their nationalities are not known.
Sub Sea Research, a US-based marine research and recovery firm, claims it has now located the wreck under 800 feet of water about 40 miles off Guyana. (ANI)
- British shipwreck containing $3 bn treasure found (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 02, 2012
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
- 50 tonnes of silver recovered from sea - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia could claim treasure from WW II shipwreck: Experts - Jan 30, 2009
- Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreck - Jul 19, 2012
- £155m treasure trove discovered on shipwreck - Sep 27, 2011
- Expedition to survey World War II shipwrecks in "Graveyard of the Atlantic" - Aug 08, 2009
- US Navy ship sunk in World War II battle located - Sep 11, 2009
- Discovery of Second World War German U-boat wrecks to rewrite history books - Jul 04, 2010
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- Another ship stuck at Mumbai's Juhu beach (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbour (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Book uncovers secret surrender of 33 Nazi U-Boats in sea loch - Mar 21, 2010
- North Korean involvement in sinking of warship obvious: Seoul - May 19, 2010
- Bangladesh detains Indian ship - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: allied effort, allied war effort, british crew, british ship, exact location, general cargo, gold platinum, lend lease, london jan, material support, merchant ship, nazi submarine, salvagers, sea research, second world war, telegraph work, treasure trove, u boat, u87, us treasury