British sex offenders to face mandatory lie detector testJuly 20th, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 20 (IANS) Rapists and other sex offenders in Britain may be forced to take lie detector tests when they leave prison in a bid to reduce the chance of them re-offending, a media report said Friday.
According to The Guardian, lie detector tests have been found to make sex offenders more honest.
The government has been pressing for the introduction of mandatory polygraph tests, which monitors heart rate, brain activity and blood pressure.
The tests would apply to around 750 most serious sex offenders currently out on licence.
A Downing Street official said two pilot programmes in East and West Midlands conducted between April 2009 and October 2011 found that mandatory lie detector tests prompted sex offenders to be more honest.
The tests provided probation staff with more information about the potential risks the offenders pose.
It was also found that offenders make twice as many disclosures to probation staff, such as admitting that they had contacted a victim.
The report said that offenders found to have broken their licence as a result of a lie detector test would be sent back to prison.
After leaving prison, they would still have to sign a sex offenders’ register, and can be banned from certain areas and from contact with certain people.
Prime Minister David Cameron is said to have been impressed with the results of the pilot tests and has asked for assessment of the costs of extending the scheme across the country.
- 100 paedophiles chemically castrated in Britain - Mar 13, 2012
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- The World's nicest prison is located in Bastoy - May 25, 2012
- Freed terrorists face new restrictions in Britain - Nov 08, 2010
- Fake pilot scam: Govt. directs DGCA to probe all pilot licenses - Mar 15, 2011
- At least 46 freed, to be freed Islamic extremists from UK prisons "pose risk" to public - Nov 08, 2010
- Hooker who claims she bedded Becks could face lie detector test - Sep 26, 2010
- DGCA to conduct surprise checks to catch drunk pilots, crew - Feb 09, 2012
- Activist's killing: Eight cops to undergo polygraph test - May 02, 2012
- Waugh backs lie detector tests to root out cricket graft - Jul 20, 2011
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- New study negates stereotype image of adolescent sex offenders - Jul 25, 2010
- Man blames Viagra, wife's menopause for filming women in changing room - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: blood pressure, brain activity, british sex, david cameron, detector tests, disclosures, downing street, guardian, heart rate, lie detector test, london, minister david, pilot tests, polygraph tests, prime minister, probation staff, rapists, report said that, sex offenders register