British scuba divers create world record for underwater ironing!January 17th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 17 (ANI): A group of British scuba divers have created a world record for underwater ironing.
All 86 scuba divers braved water temperatures of just 41F (5C) and ironed an item of linen within the ten-minute time limit at the bottom of a 173ft-deep flooded quarry.
The group smashed the previous world record of 72 in Melbourne, Australia, last year.
Organiser Gareth Lock said the charity challenge is set to raise 10,000 pounds for the RNLI - while raising awareness about the “joys” of underwater ironing.
“This was an unusual attempt, I admit, but it seemed like the perfect way for a load of divers to raise money for the RNLI, The Telegraph quoted Lock as saying.
“We advertised the event by word of mouth and via diving websites, and expected there to be quite a good turnout.
“But we were shocked when so many people arrived, ready and willing to take part - and even more stunned when we snatched the record, he added.
As many as 140 people volunteered for the attempt out of which 128 were qualified divers.
A record 86 divers managed the task simultaneously, while the remainder were either disqualified for starting too early, or penalised for overshooting the 10-minute time limit.
Diver Mark Williams, 38, who took part in the underwater challenge, said: “My ironing came out pretty creased - luckily they don”t mark you down on the quality of your ironing.”
The attempt was captured on camera by 11 photographers armed with special underwater cameras. (ANI)
- Brit scuba diver sets world record for longest underwater stay - Jan 23, 2010
- Naval divers set national deep sea diving record (With image) - Feb 16, 2011
- Navy Divers set national record for deep diving - Feb 17, 2011
- Dog Learns Scuba-Diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Divers Rescue Shark Caught With Frisbee Around Its Neck - Mar 05, 2010
- Russian Dog Boniface Is Learning Scuba-Diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Underwater billiards games start in Bay of Bengal - Feb 09, 2009
- Fish That Looks Like Shrek - Sep 02, 2010
- Scuba Incorporated Pvt Ltd - Jul 12, 2010
- Boniface: First dog to do scuba diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Swiss diver breaks record staying submerged for almost 20 mins! - Feb 17, 2010
- Coming soon: a diving suit that turns humans into fish - Nov 22, 2010
- Indian workers aboard sunken ship missing - Oct 22, 2011
- 3,000 years old monkey fossil found in underwater cave - Jul 22, 2010
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: charity challenge, linen, london jan, melbourne australia, minute time limit, money, photographers, quarry, remainder, rnli, scuba divers, telegraph, underwater cameras, water temperatures, word of mouth, world record