British schoolboys jailed for robbing Indian-origin manNovember 12th, 2011 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 12 (IANS) Five schoolboys, who robbed an Indian-origin shopkeeper at gunpoint in Britain, have been jailed for 18 months.
Gurdeep Singh, 48, was alone at his newsagent’s shop in Southampton when two of the youngsters came in, posing as customers. In little over a minute, they had fled, dividing up 140 pounds in cash, 300 cigarettes and five packets of tobacco, the Daily Express reported.
The teenagers had planned their robbery through text messages. They carried it out while covering their faces by hats and scarves.
Police later found text messages exchanged between them planning the raid, followed by others to sort out their alibis.
The judge said their crime was so serious that he lifted the ban on naming the teenagers, who are mostly under 16. One was only 13 when the raid was carried out and a 14-year-old pointed the gun at Singh.
Daniel Flint, now 16, Joshua Quinn, 14, Billy Woodford, 15, Jordan Tennant, 16, and Iain Crook, 14, were all said to be “top-flight”, or outstanding schoolboys from Southampton, the largest city in Hampshire county of England, before the raid in June.
- British schoolboy kills ex-girlfriend over free-breakfast bet - Jul 28, 2011
- Woman faces jail for 'rewarding' teens with sex - Mar 04, 2012
- Indian-origin teacher found guilty of sex with students - Nov 19, 2010
- Portsmouth coach Avram Grant, the man to visit Hampshire brothel - Feb 04, 2010
- Teen robbers get caught by their own photographs - Apr 24, 2012
- British teenagers held for online bank fraud - Jul 03, 2010
- Woman prison officer quits over sex with criminal - Nov 01, 2010
- Malaysian teens exchanging 'girlfriends for pills' - Dec 16, 2010
- 2 teenagers drown in Punjab village pond - Jun 01, 2011
- Study says 'pep talk can reduce violence, alcoholic problems among teenagers' - Aug 04, 2010
- US teacher faces trial for sex with her students - Aug 17, 2012
- Norway girl sent text messages to mother about attack - Jul 27, 2011
- Mobile users in UK turn to free instant messaging for communication - Apr 26, 2011
- Teen girl offers drugs to cop, arrested - Jan 25, 2012
- Israel tests missile alert system - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: alibis, cigarettes, daily express, gunpoint, hampshire county, hats, indian origin, joshua, newsagent, robbery, scarves, schoolboys, shopkeeper, southampton, teenagers, tennant, text messages, top flight, woodford, youngsters