‘British police targeted Indian-origin rights campaigner’April 18th, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 18 (IANS) British police targeted the country’s leading human rights campaigner, Shami Chakrabarti, in a botched hunt for the source of a series of home ministry leaks on illegal immigration last year, according to a report Saturday.
The news comes after the government this week made an embarrassing U-turn and decided not to prosecute senior opposition Conservative Party MP Damian Green, who was arrested in November 2008 for receiving the leaked information.
Green, whose arrest sparked outrage among opposition politicians, said anti-terror police officers seized a computer from his parliamentary office and searched it using the key words ‘Shami Chakrabarti.’
“This feels to me like a fishing expedition on somebody who embarrasses the government of the day,” Green told The Times, adding that his arrest and the raids on his office and home smacked of a “police state.”
Green, who is his party’s spokesman on immigration issues, was arrested after publicising home ministry documents that showed illegal immigrants had been able to secure jobs of security guards and a cleaner in the lower house of parliament.
Chakrabarti, who heads the civil liberties group Liberty, said she was never approached by police as part of their inquiry and was alarmed to learn that her name had been used as a key search word.
“I think this raises very serious questions about just how politicised, even McCarthyite, this operation was,” she added, referring to the American anti-communist witch-hunts led by Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s.
- British government curtails 'stop-and-search' powers - Jul 09, 2010
- 36 Indian illegal immigrants arrested in Britain - Dec 01, 2010
- Car accident on Bullock's movie set - Jul 10, 2012
- 30 illegal Pakistani immigrants held in Britain - Apr 15, 2011
- Wikileaks founder Assange accuses US lawmakers of calling for his "assassination" - Jan 31, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
- Indian couple jailed in British immigration scam - May 17, 2012
- Jolie to join 'The Counsellor' cast? - Apr 11, 2012
- McCarthy to strip for Playboy again - May 19, 2012
- YSR Congress protests CBI searches on Jagan (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- McCarthy's son misses Carrey - Jun 07, 2012
- Jason Toohey Dating Jenny McCarthy - Oct 18, 2010
- Jenny McCarthy loves Botox - Apr 28, 2012
- Jenny McCarthy reveals 'secret of happy relationship with new beau ' - Oct 18, 2010
- Britain seeks Punjab help to check illegal migration - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: british police, campaigner, chakrabarti, civil liberties group, conservative party, fishing expedition, home ministry, illegal immigrants, illegal immigration, immigration issues, indian origin, joseph mccarthy, key search, ministry documents, opposition politicians, parliamentary office, search word, senator joseph mccarthy, terror police, u turn