British police only solve one-fourth crimesJuly 21st, 2012 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 21 (IANS) Police in Britain fail to solve three out of four crimes. Last year, officers solved only 27 percent of crimes committed across the country, a media report said Saturday.
The figures were published on the Home Office website, the Telegraph reported.
During in 2011-12, police solved 1,075,927 offences.
One in seven burglaries was solved and less than half of perpetrators of violent offences were caught.
Only a fifth of robberies were cleared up, and three in 10 sexual offences.
However, police had more success with drug offences, of which 92 percent were solved.
Other figures showed the number of murders and killings fell to a 30-year low of 550 last year. Police solved 522 of those - or 95 percent.
However, burglars responsible for more than 430,000 crimes escaped justice last year.
The figures published Thursday showed that the overall number of crimes committed fell by four percent in 2011-12 to 3.97 million, the lowest since 1989.
- Hero Motocorp's scrip down 7 percent - May 03, 2012
- Three burglaries hit Britain every two minutes - Jul 16, 2011
- Pickpocketing on rise, killing on decline in Britain - Jul 20, 2012
- Srinagar gold burglary solved in a day, loot recovered - Apr 23, 2012
- Two mn crimes go unreported every year in Britain - Jan 22, 2011
- Ghaziabad cops promise e-filing; say crime dipped in 2010 - Jan 10, 2011
- Sensex slumps 143 points on weak economic numbers - Jun 01, 2012
- Myanmar to host livestock technology fair - Jul 27, 2012
- Mumbai Police claim to have 'broken' underworld's back-bone - Jan 11, 2012
- Many thieves simply walk through unlocked front doors, London police warn - Sep 27, 2010
- US deported 396,000 in 2011 fiscal year - Oct 19, 2011
- Crime up slightly, women's safety, terror top agenda: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- Criminals have own distinctive 'local haunts' when committing crimes - May 26, 2010
- Take action over 23 Hindu temple burglaries: Dhaka daily - Feb 06, 2011
- Millionaire's daughter to be jailed for London riots - Apr 05, 2012