British police officer banned over dead dogsOctober 13th, 2011 - 10:27 am ICT by IANS
London, Oct 13 (IANS) A police animal handler in Britain who left two dogs in his car in a summer heatwave that led to their death has been banned from keeping dogs for three years.
Sergeant Ian Craven left a five-month-old puppy and a bomb detection dog locked in his vehicle outside a police dog training centre in Kent as he went for a meeting at the Olympic site in east London in June. By the time he alerted colleagues to the animals’ desperate plight six hours later, the two dogs were beyond help despite being rushed to an emergency vet, the Daily Express reported.
Outside temperatures had soared to 84F (29C) on one of the hottest days of the year. Alsatian puppy Tilly and Chay, a Belgian malinois, would have suffered an agonising ordeal as the heat inside the locked van climbed to fatal temperatures.
A police officer for 30 years, Craven resigned from the Metropolitan police following the incident. He pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering.
Colleagues described how he started panicking and exclaimed “I’ve killed my dogs”, when he recalled how he had left the two.
- Belgian Malinois Death Case Haunts Former Police Sergeant - Jul 29, 2010
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
- Man kills puppy with hammer - May 04, 2012
- Mum saves kids by pinning down attacking dog - Aug 24, 2011
- Fury over racy images of women posing with dogs for charity calendar - Dec 31, 2010
- Litter of 17 puppies born in Germany - Dec 21, 2010
- Canadian jailed for beating his puppy to death - Feb 03, 2011
- British dogs to get anti-depressants - Jun 25, 2012
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Man jailed for beating dog to death - Aug 17, 2012
- Five Year Old Girl Attacked By American Bulldog - May 31, 2010
- Dogs can 'sniff out' prostate cancer accurately from urine sample - Feb 08, 2011
- Attacked by dog, man jumps off 60 feet bridge - Aug 12, 2012
- Pamela adopts 'desi' homeless puppy (With image) - May 04, 2012
Tags: alsatian puppy, animal handler, belgian malinois, bomb detection, british police, chay, daily express, dead dogs, desperate plight, east london, emergency vet, heatwave, hottest days, keeping dogs, metropolitan police, police animal, police dog training, six hours, tilly, two dogs