British police being trained for Mumbai-style attackOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 26 (IANS) British police are being trained and armed with more powerful weapons to prepare for any future “Mumbai-style” terror attack in the country, a media report said Tuesday.
Security chiefs in the country have ordered an acceleration in police training to prepare for any such attack in a public place, the BBC reported.
The development comes after intelligence sources said last month they had uncovered the early stages of an Al Qaeda plot to carry out co-ordinated attacks in Britain, France and Germany.
Suspects were planning to copy the 2008 attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai, where 10 gunmen went on rampage for nearly 60 hours, killing 166 people, the sources said.
According to the report, police armed response units are being given more powerful weapons.
“We keep security arrangements under constant review to take account of the threat, lessons we have learned and new challenges,” the Home Office said.
An official told the BBC that the Metropolitan Police had not been asked to do this before.
He said the job of the police would be to contain such a situation while the job of the SAS (Special Air Service), if called upon, would be to resolve it.
Former security minister Lord West said the police must be properly trained to deal with such terror attacks.
“These people, like the Mumbai terrorists, are a bit like soldiers, they do fire and support, move forward, all they want to do is kill as many people as possible, with slightly heavier weapons than our police have,” he said.
- Brit police in training for '26/11 Mumbai-style' gun attacks - Oct 26, 2010
- British commandos on alert amid Mumbai-like attack fears - Dec 22, 2010
- SAS officers warn Britain is unprepared for a Mumbai-style attack - Oct 03, 2010
- More powerful arms needed to fight 26/11 style attack: British cop - Apr 15, 2010
- Four jailed in Denmark for Mumbai-style terror plot - Jun 04, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- NYPD trains personnel to anticipate, counter Mumbai type terror attack - Dec 21, 2010
- UK MPS get advice on what to do during Mumbai type terror attack - Nov 16, 2010
- Nigeria witnesses 11 more killings (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nigeria violence toll rises to 185 - Jan 24, 2012
- NYPD preparing to combat 'Mumbai-style terror attack' in city - Oct 02, 2010
- New York cops simulate 26/11 Mumbai terror attack - Dec 21, 2010
- New terror alert hits trains, airports in London - Jan 07, 2011
- Mumbai-style attack on London feared next year (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: acceleration, al qaeda, armed response, bbc, british police, gunmen, intelligence sources, metropolitan police, police training, powerful weapons, rampage, response units, sas special air service, security arrangements, security chiefs, security minister, style attack, support move, terror attack, terror attacks